Follow-up Question - Fat transfer with local anesthesia? Also, does fat migrate?

Hello, I’m want fat transfer to my temples, lips, nasolabial folds, under cheeks, forehead and hands. 1. Could this be done with local anesthesia. I’m in the Los Angeles area. 2. What is the cost for such a procedure generally? 3.Will the fat transferred to nasolabial folds MOVE to my cheeks in the future? My cheeks are big, I do not want it any bigger, I fear the fat will migrate to my cheeks.
See average cost for Fat Transfer

To see the previous question, please click here.

Fat Transfer, Final Results? TEMPLES / FACE

Fat transfer can migrate if not done properly.  Facial grafting is painful and best done under general anesthesia in my opinion, but you can do it locally with nerve blocks.  The fat harvesting portion can be done either way but should be done with expert skill and technique -- puregraft and prp.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Fat transfer under local anesthesia

Absolutely, majority of my fat transfer to face/hands procedures are performed under local anesthesia and the patients tolerate very well.  Transferred fat typically stays localized and it doesn't migrate.  Just make sure your surgeon is board certified and have a lot of experience doing such procedures. Good luck!
Goretti H. Taghva MD

Goretti Ho Taghva, MD

Fat transfer with local anesthesia? Does fat migrate?

I have been treating patients with fat transfer since the earliest days of the technique more than 25 years ago. Properly performed tiny packets of fat are carefully implanted throughout multiple layers of the tissue of the area(s) treated. These packets are tightly held in place and will not migrate. All the areas you mentioned are great areas for fat transfer. The tissues under the nasolabial fold can be very firm and resist elevation. So extra measures are taken and sometimes an additional treatment is needed in that area. Without an exam to determine the exact procedure I would recommend, we can't give an exact quote but our fees are within the range given on the Realself cost comparison page. When you consider the many years that fat transfer results last it is by far the best value for the.  Please see link for examples.

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat transfer under local anesthesia

Fat transfer can be done under local anesthesia and it will not migrate. Fat stays where it is injected. 

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Facial fat transfer

Facial fat transfer can be finicky. It generally works better for the fuse volume then it for very precise treatments like nasolabial fold. For these areas fillers tend to work better. The procedure can definitely be done with local Anastasia. Though some providers may prefer putting patients to sleep. The fat will not migrate but like previously stated it can be difficult to inject in a very small precise areas. In order for fat to survive after being transferred it has to have a proper bed of tissue to be grafted into. For example in a temporal area there is very little fat to graft into. The temporal area usually has skin, very little fat and muscle. It is possible to graft fat into muscle but expect grafted fat in the temporal area to not have a high  percentage survival rate.
This is also true for the back of the hands where there is very issue to actually graft into. Real self offers very accurate pricing across the country. Look under the procedure then click on the tab that says cost. Best, Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD