Can fat be grafted to foreheads? (photo)

I am a 20-year-old Asian and I have relatively small forehead that does not balance with my other facial features. I want to have fat grafted into my forehead to make it bigger(just like the before and after photo I attached). Fat grafting to forehead is a pretty popular procedures in some East Asian countries like Korea and China. Do American doctors do this procedure? What are the risks of this procedure Thanks!

Fat graft to forehead

Fat grafting to the forehead is a relatively simple but very effective way of giving a shape to the forehead.  Particularly when forehead is flat, giving fat to the forehead will provides you with a fuller rounder forehead.  In additions, we can extend the fat injection to the temple areas as well.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.
Best,Alex Kim, MD

Fat transfer to the forehead

Hello katrinawang, thank you for your interest in facial fat transfer procedures.  In my practice, I routinely perform fat transfer to the forehead on my facial fat transfer patients.  Most of my Asian patients would like a fuller forehead and temples to give more dimensions to the face.  You may check out some photos of my forehead fat transfer patients on my Realself profile.  Risks of fat transfer to the forehead include asymmetry, need for more than one session of fat grafting for more dramatic results, bleeding, infection and if fat is inadvertently injected into the blood vessels in the glabella, the fat may embolize and it can threaten your eyesight.  Fortunately, these complications are extremely rare and it's a relatively low risk procedure if it's performed safely by an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!
Goretti H. Taghva MD

Goretti Ho Taghva, MD

Fat grafting to the face

is a very popular procedure in the US as well! It is a useful tool to fill in areas that are deficient or correct asymmetries. What you have to be aware of though, is that the contour of the forehead is formed by the shape of the frontal bone and that while fat can change the profile, it may feel different to you since you would now have an additional layer of soft tissue in between. Fat also has variable take - I usually tell patients that only about 50-70% of what I graft will survive. Because it is in the face, I tend to be more conservative; if you feel that more is needed after the healing period, we would go back and do another procedure. The risks associated with fat grafting are infection, uneven results, results that change with weight gain or weight loss, and fat embolism - a rare but potentially fatal complication where fat lobules get into the blood stream! Make sure your surgeon is board-certified and practices safe surgery! 

Dan Mills, MD