Can fat from tummy tuck be used as filler on face?

Can tummy tuck fat be used on the face

Yes, fat from anywhere on the body can be transferred - the abdomen fat is commonly used for fat tranfer.  There are a lot of technical details when it comes to successful fat transfer, longevity, absorption so I would recommend you go to someone experienced in these techniques.

Fat transfer to the face

Fat can be used from anywhere on your body as a filler for your face. Most commonly fat is transferred to the cheeks and under-eye area but can also be used in the nasolabial folds and temple area. Consult with an experienced plastic surgeon to see if you are a candidate for this procedure. Not all of the fat will survive the transfer so it's very likely you will need a second procedure (injection) to achieve the desired look.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Fat transfer to the face

one of the principles of plastic surgery is to use "like tissue".  Facial aging is often manifested fat loss from the face.  The excess fat from the tummy or hips works well to replace that which is lost over time.  This is the Robin Hood principle of plastic surgery to take it from where there is excess and move it to the area of need.

fat grafting utilizes this principal as a part of almost all of my facelifts.  Not everybody needs a facelift and fat can help restore volume and the useful fullness without facelifting surgery as well.

Good luck.

Mark A. Eberbach, MD

Mark Eberbach, MD

Natural Fat Transfer

Natural fat transfer to the face is a fantastic procedure for restoring volume to the face and rejuvenating the facial skin. Fat from the abdomen is one of the best sources for fat grafting to the face.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

Fat transfer to the face

The tissue that will otherwise be removed anyway is a great source for graftable fat to the face (or other site).  It adds a small amount of time to the procedure, and is the best way to restore soft tissue contours that have receded with aging.

All the best. 

Great question. Fat from the abdomen is an excellent source of fat for the face. This fat could certainly be harvested at the same time as a tummy tuck.

Fat

Fat from the abdominal area, which will be discarded during a tummy tuck could definitely be used in the face as a filler.  Having fat grafting at the same surgical session will be advantageous. 

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Micro-fat grafts from the abdomen are frequently used to provide a rejuvenation of the facial features, restore volume, or improve wrinkles.

Find a plastic surgeon that you are comfortable with and one that you trust and listen to his or her advice. The surgeon should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla,California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty and fat transfer

Thank you for the question. Fat transfer is a topic I discuss with my patients all the time. We cover all the details like where to harvest the fat and where it would be appropriate to place the fat. Liposuction is the best way to harvest fat and transfer to the face or buttock can improve shape and contour. Fat as a filler has excellent success but it may be temporary depending on how it is treated prior to injection. Hope this helps.  

Frank J. Ferraro, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

I fat graft virtually every area of the body for a multitude of reasons, and the combination of the tummy tuck with fat grafting to the face is a very nice option.  I would search for the surgeon who you feel is most likely to give you the best results. Look at reviews and before and after pictures on that surgeon's website.