Is facial fat grating a new technique?

Fat Transfer, Final Results? TEMPLES / FACE

Facial fat grafting has been done for years.  There are new techniques in harvesting and transferring but the idea is still the same.  I suggest seeing an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

New in Facial Fat Grafting

Facial fat grafting itself is not new. However, many of the techniques now used are relatively new. Fat grafting was initially not very successful until Dr. Sidney Coleman defined a procedure for harvesting, processing and reinjecting the fat a number of years ago. Since then other physicians have further refined the procedure to make it more reliable. 

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting on face

Hello,  thank you for your question.  No it's not a new technique.   There are several studies of facial fat grafting from the 1960's.  The results are good and it's a safe procedure.  Have a great day.  

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Facial fat grafting--New?

Considering that I have used and lectured about this for 35 years I would say not new. However it has had a resurgence after many surgeons said it did not work. If properly done the fat will last forever--BUT the bad news is that it can be irregular and leave lumps that are very difficult to remove in the face. I like it for lips and hands but use it in the face only if doing it with other surgery where you can see the placement.

Facial fat grafting

Facial fat transfer has been done for many many years. Fat transfer has become much more popular in the last 20 years. One of the pioneers in the field is Sydney Coleman I had Much of his work gave the procedure at legitimacy and techniques have been improved. Please see the attached link to an excellent article reviewing some of the history and indications for fat transfer. Best, Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Facial fat grafting new?

Facial fat grafting has been popular over the last 15 years so not really considered a new procedure. Please see examples of fat grafting below.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Facial fat grafting

I recall in the early 80's some doctors transferring fat to the face after bathing it in insulin to preserve its viability.  It's popularity soared after publication of techniques that enhanced survivability by S Coleman over 15 years ago.  Many of us have been using it in conjunction with facial rejuvenation procedures for 10-15 years to restore volume and to rejuvenate skin.  Hope this helps. Jon A Perlman MD FACS  Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery  Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016  Beverly Hills, Ca 

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Is facial fat grafting new?

no,  facial fat grafting is not new.  We have had fat transfer as a method to fill tissue for over 100 years.  However,  the procedure has been greatly refined and we know the possibility and limitations much better.  

Omeed Memar, MD, PhD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon