Are my facelift scars progressing normally? (photos)

These pictures are 2 months post and the previous pictures I posted were 1 month post. I'm still concerned about scarring, especially on right side of back of neck, which is very long. Also scars on both temples seem to be infront of hairline, rather than hidden by my hair & are very noticible. Are these scars excessive & is there anything I can do now at home to minimise them? My PS tells me they are normal but I'm not so sure. Really want to go back to my normal short hairstyle soon :(

Facelift healing as anticipated

and the redness will continue to improve and when it does, the scars will become less appreciable, especially in front of your ear.  As for the length, if you had a very loose neck, those scars are needed to allow adequate pull and resection.  Let your healing continue and if your scars are truly exposed with your normal hairstyles, that would be a great reason to have a discussion with your surgeon as it is your surgeon's job to keep the scar as inconspicuous as possible and his/her reputation will be reflected by your results.

Facelift scars

Based just on your photos, yes, they look to be healing fine for 2 months post op. The scars on your neck are long and even when they heal, they may still be visible. Speak with your surgeon about applying silicone strips to improve your healing. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Facelift scars

Thank you for our question and photos.  From the photos, the scars appear to be on a normal healing trajectory.  Scars are always a bit pink, which can last for a several months.  Avoid the sun, use silicone gels and scar massage to help the scars heal.  

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Healing and Recovery From Your Facelift

First and foremost, its best to remain patient. It is still early in to your recovery. The healing process in general can take up to one month for the majority of swelling to subside, incisions to close, sutures to come out, and for bruising to completely go away. 

#Recovery time from a #facelift varies from person to person, but patients can generally expect to be presentable within three weeks from surgery. Patients should expect swelling, bruising, and discoloration of the skin during this phase of recovery (swelling normally goes down after 48 hours; most bruising will go away within two weeks). The marks from a facelift can easily hidden with “camouflage” make-up which you can learn how to apply.
The scars from a facelift mature within six to twelve months from the surgery date. It is during this time that the rejuvenating effects of the facelift will become apparent and the real result will be seen. If you have certain concerns about the procedures and #healing process, it is recommended to call your board-certified surgeon or their medical staff and discuss those #concerns.

Facelift Incisions

Dear kaymorton, While the incisions would not be something I would use on one of my patients they should heal in the coming months. Speak with your surgeon regarding different types of treatments to help provide increased wound healing to help minimize the scarring. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Facelift scars

kaymorton,

You appear to be healing normally.  In general it takes about 6 months for your scars to completely mature.  During your healing process you should expect the redness to fade to your natural skin color and the raised areas to subside.  Silicone ointment or silicone tape, lasers and kenalog injections are all treatments that may help accelerate the healing process.  Discuss your options with your surgeon who can determine what would be best for you.  Good luck!

Julie Edween, DO

Scar Management

Best Scar Management is important to minimize or completely hide from view, the telltale signs of your surgery—namely, scars. Both you and your surgeon want you to have the most minimal scarring possible. There are many possible causes for scars that are enlarged or not healing well. Unsightly scars are most commonly due to genetics, underlying medical conditions, or improper scar/wound care. The last part is very important and patients can make a noticeable difference in their scars’ appearance by following best scar management practices. Here are some simple tips.

Scar Management tips:
  1. Minimize tension on the scar. Steri-Strips and/or surgical tape are often placed in non-hair bearing areas at the time of surgery to minimize tension and keep pressure over the scar.  This minimizes the  stress that  can pull the scar apart (dehiscence) creating a wound and  delaying healing time, and can make the scar wider, or more “ropy”. In the first few weeks after surgery, I recommend the use of Embrace Scar Therapy which is an adherent silicone sheeting pre-stretched when applied so as to offload tension on the scar.
  2. Keep your incision site/scar clean to prevent infection. Follow your surgeon’s wound care instructions to the letter with out modification. Never apply different products then recommended without first discussing them with your surgeon. This is especially important during the first few weeks. If there are any signs of infection, contact your surgeon’s office right away and/or see your doctor or his nurse immediately. Typical signs of infection may include redness outside the immediate incision site, asymmetric swelling, and drainage, of pus, fever, chills, and “feeling sick”.
  3. Protect your scars from the sun. Staying out of the sun is the best advice. Minimal exposure to sunlight is prevents hyperpigmentation (permanently turning brown) and other problems that can make the scar more noticeable. Sunscreen, at least 30 SPF and an overlying make camouflage make up additionally protects the scar from the suns harmful rays. This advice is especially important the first year following your surgery.
  4. Use specific scar maturation products recommended by your surgeon. Patients seem to have their own opinions on this touting everything from Pure Vit E, Coco butter, to Aloe Vera, etc but most have minimal benefit other than keeping the scar hydrated. Although hydration is important there are better, scientifically studied products with greater efficacy. Most of the scientific articles written about this subject indicate that topical silicone gel or silicone sheets work the best. The best product available in my opinion is the Embrace Scar Therapy System by Neodyne BioSciences, Inc. available in many surgeons’ offices. Essentially this is an adherent silicone sheeting pre-stretched when applied so as to offload tension on the scar. For areas that are not applicable for this product (e.g. smaller areas or on the face), I prefer BioCorneum or Kelo-Cote products There are a lot of products to choose from, but silicone should be one of the key ingredients. Although Mederma, an onion extract derivative active ingredient rather than mainly silicone based may help, primarily silicone based products are better and many also contain other ingredients that may be synergistic (hydrocortisone or other steroid, Vitamin E, Sunscreen, etc).. If the reader has problems obtaining these they can call my office. Patient compliance is also critical – use often and according to directions or it will not work optimally. NEVER apply products without first discussing them with your surgeon.
  5. Monitor to make sure your scar is progressing optimally. Keep your scheduled follow-up appointments with your surgeon to verify that your scars are maturing as expected.  Occasionally if indicated you may need a topical steroid preparation or even a series of  injections (5-FU and/or Steroids) or laser treatments  to treat or  prevent scar hypertrophy or keloid formation (red raised scars), or other topical medicines to treat post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (brown scars) with prescription creams and possible laser treatments.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Face Lift scars healing normally?

Hello and thanks for your questions.  After reviewing your photos, it appears that you are healing well.  Your scars are at their most apparent at this period after your procedure.  

Over the next 8-12 months they will gradually get softer, flatter, and fade from red/pink to skin tone and become very minimally noticeable.  I always encourage my patients to use a silicone-based scar treatment (biocorneum, kelocote, etc) in order to help minimize the appearance of scars.

If you feel areas that are raised more than others, I also encourage finger-tip scar massage to help soften these areas.  If you continue to have concerns, please discuss further with your surgeon, but it appears that you will have a very nice result.

Dr. Brown

Daniel Brown, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Scars

Your scars are healing appropriately.  It takes time for scars to fully heal and remodel.  Take care!

Timothy A. Janiga MD, FACS

Timothy Janiga, MD, FACS
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Facelift & incisions

This is a very good question.  Your incisions are still healing and this takes 6months to 12 months for complete healing. After training with Dr Bruce Connell, there are surgical decisions that must be made at the time of surgery for the best result. Each patient is unique and different. The hairline is the most important factor along with the details of the skin laxity and the direction if must be lifted.  This is individualized in each patient according to the problems in that patient's face and neck that must be repaired. Based on this, placement of the incisions can be made and properly placed. After this is determined, then other factors come into play to make the scars inconspicuous.  This is extremelay important to have the incisions hidden.  When closing the face, there must be no tension on the skin to maximize healing without problems with the incisions.  The goal is to have incisions that disappear and can't be seen from across the table.  There are many factors that go into planning for the best result and each is individualized to each patient.  Good luck with your healing process. I hope this helps. Be patient and give it time.  

Warmest Regards, 

Dr Montegut 

Walton Montegut, MD
Newport Beach Physician