What face lift procedure would be best to get rid of my Jowls? (photos)

I am 57 years old and I want to know which face lift procedure you think would be best to get rid of my jowls. Neck is still in pretty good shape. Is there anything minimally invasive that could address this issue or do I have do go with a face lift with incisions in front of and around the back of my ears?

What face lift procedure would be best to get rid of my Jowls?

It is not possible to evaluate a face for rejuvenation without full face front and side (nonsmiling) photos. But I can tell you from these photos that if you don't correct the visible aging changes in the neck at the time of the jowl surgery, you will wonder why your neck all of a sudden looks like that. Any correction of the jowl area short of the standard incisions will leave you undercorrected. You can certainly find "spas" that will promise you a correction with one of their many machines. It will leave you dramatically poorer and still uncorrected. I hope you do not fall for that. 

Facelift procedure

Based on your photos, you would be a good candidate for a traditional deep plane face lift. This will address the jowl area as well as the neck. There are some other nuances that may be suggested based on you in person examination. I would recommend sitting down with a surgeon to go over your options.

Best of luck

David Reinstadler, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift

Thank you for your question. There are non surgical and surgical treatment for your face. The surgical treatment will not only be your best choice but it will give you a big improvement over the non surgical options. 

There are many different facelift procedures. You need one that tightens muscles in addition to skin. I prefer the mini invasive facelift that I pioneered many years ago. 

There are a number of different face lift procedures that tighten the muscles that will give you a good result. Find a board certified plastic surgeon that you are comfortable with. 

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA

Jowl removal (photo)

As you know, standard face and neck lift can smooth "jowls" away, but if they're isolated and you prefer deferring facelift, a brief office procedure (jowl removal) under local anesthesia can also produce nice results.  An example is shown at the link below from our gallery.

Steve Laverson, MD

Facelift

Thank you for the question but the photos did not come through to evaluate your face.  So see some experts in your area and be evaluated.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Face and Neck life for optimal results

Thanks for sharing. In general, current neck rejuvenation treatments include:
  1. Surgical Neck lift* with a lower facelift would be the gold standard and gets the best results
  2. Surgical Neck lift* would be the next best procedure
  3. Neck liposuction and/or laser lipolysis if only fat removal is required, typically in a younger patient. A platysmaplasty can be added for further muscle tightening
  4. Ultherapy is an FDA approved non invasive tightening using ultrasound technology
  5. Kybella is a new FDA approved injection that melts fat under the chin
  6. Botox to the platysma bands to decrease their show
*It is important the a Neck lift involves some liposuction and importantly a platysmaplasty which is a procedure that tightens the underlying loose neck muscles.

Based on your photos, option 1 of a facelift with neck lift would give you the best results. Results will last for many years. Talk to several board certified surgeons experienced in face and neck rejuvenation to discuss your options.

Raymond E. Lee, MD

Neck lift options

As the majority of experts on here are advising, a full lower face/neck lift is the best option for you.
Of course, there will be those who try to sell you some "mini" version of the procedure, or even a laser/noninvasive version of the procedure. Do not waste your money, as if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. I offer laser, mini, and full versions of the procedure, but I can tell you that the only procedure which will give you an acceptable result is the full surgical version. An yes, in order to remove your degree of excess skin, the incision will need to be carried around behind your ear.
Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

There are different surgical techniques available to tighten your facial muscles and skin. I suggest that you consult with an experienced surgeon who can perform the different techniques. Discuss the pros and cons of different approaches. This will enable you to make your best decision. Good luck.

Warren J. Katz, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Minimally Invasive vs Full Facelift

You have a couple of options: a less invasive approach is the laser assisted liposuction and skin tightening procedure known as "Precision TX". The more aggressive approach is a facelift. The facelift gives you the best possible result, while the Precision gets you close but not as good. But it's less risky and has very tiny incisions. So it all depends on how aggressive you want to be. Either approach is performed under only local anesthesia in my practice. Safe and effective! I wish you the best!

Arnold Almonte, DO
Roseville Plastic Surgeon

Facelift with SMAS involvement

The best option would be a facelift with attention to SMAS (superficial musculoaponeurotic system) or the layer of muscle and fascia underneath the skin to enhance the longevity of the lift.  The incision in front and back of the ear is usually very well hidden and in the right hands, is rarely an issue.

Johnny Mao, MD, FACS
Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon