Face balance very off, keen on getting my chin corrected, what's better surgery or fillers? (photos)

I have a large nose and a quite weak chin. My eyes are small and my cheeks not so prominent. I have a case of an overbite. I am 29 years old. I am keen on getting my chin corrected. I am unsure of chin surgery vs chin fillers. And within chin fillers temporary vs permanent. I know my nose needs correction too, but several bad cases of rhinoplasty have deterred me and thus I feel more confident of undergoing chin correction. Relative costs are surely a consideration but not the deciding factor.

Chin surgery

Since you are not ready for a rhinoplasty I will talk about your chin. Though a chin implant will add some length to your chin, I would recommend a sliding genioplasty in order to add some length as well as height to your chin. This is a signidicant additional benefit to having a genioplasty and the result is permanent. Also, at your age, there is no concern with resorption of bone with a genioplasty which can ocasionally occur with a chin implant.  This surgery can be performed in the office with intravenous sedation.

Face balance very off, consider rhinoplasty and chin implant

The photograph from the side profile demonstrates an overly projecting nose, and an under projecting chin. A  rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish decreasing the overall projection of the nose and shaving down the dorsal hump and refining the nasal tip. Placement of a chin implant will help  with facial balance and proportions, especially with respect to the  overly-projecting nose. Fillers do not work well in the chin area, and are very temporary. For many examples, diagrams and more information about  permanent  results with chin implants and rhinoplasty, please see the link and the video below

Chin correction

Chin correction for you is best performed with an implant; this however will not correct your bite. You are not a good candidate for a filler as you need a lot more projection; BTW if you fix your nose and shorten it, it will make your chin look stronger.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Chin Augmentation

The best chin augmentation effect comes from surgery and not fillers. The more relevant debate is whether it should be done by a chin implant or a sliding genioplasty. Since your chin also needs some vertical lengthening, I would choose the latter.

Chin surgery

The chin genioplasty will accomplish a lot for you given your concerns. It does help to balance the nose in profile and is readily accomplished. If you have the 'overbite', it means the lower jaw is smaller than the upper jaw; so consider orthodontics and lower jaw surgery if you can

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon