Why are my eyelids/eyes different size? (Photos)

I've noticed that for about a year, if not more, I've had an eye look bigger than the other, particularly because the eyelids look swollen. My eyes don't itch or are red to indicated infection. What could be causing this?

Eye Asymmetry

Dear erika5g, I would suggest that you have an evaluation with an Oculoplastic Surgeon for a proper diagnosis. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Uneven eyes

Hello 

There are many things that can cause the uneven or asymmetric appearance you are seeing.  First it is important to determine if the bony structure around the eye or the tissue behind the eye has been changing.  This could cause one eye to look sunken or the other to look prominent.  You have some asymmetry in the soft tissue or the eyelid itself and this can cause one to look asymmetric.

The first step is to seek an opinion from an oculoplastic surgeon as to the cause of the asymmetry and make sure it is not behind the eye.  But yes there are many options depending upon the cause

One eye larger than the other

Your right eyeball appears more bulging. The most common cause is thyroid eye disease but there are other causes. Best to see an oculoplastic specialist for evaluation. Treatment is possible.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon