Do I need an eyelid lift or brow lift? (photo)

I'm only 31 but my eyelids are drooping a lot. Would you suggest an eyelid lift or brow lift to correct this?

Blepharoplasty, or eyelid surgery, can fix bags, dark circles, droopy eyelids, and tear trough issues.  Several techniques in eyelid surgeries to restore youthful contour and dimensions to the eyelids.

A variety of innovative techniques may be employed, depending on the clinical situation. These techniques include the transconjunctival approach with arcus marginalis release and fat redistribution as opposed to excision, selective use of lateral canthopexy, skeletal augmentation and midface elevation. These techniques have been described in many articles, chapters and lectures.

Browlift versus Upper Lid Procedure

Basically there are two major areas to consider when it comes to rejuvenating the upper eyes...the brow position and the excess upper eyelid skin. The combination of the two determine ultimately how your eyes will age. Generally speaking, most women in their late 30s and early 40s start to develop excess thin skin over the actual eyelids. This is treated with a conservative upper blepharoplasty. Based on your photo it appears that you have a combination of both drooping brows and excess thin skin above the lid. Most likely you would benefit from a conservative upper eyelid bleph and "something" to elevate the brows (especially at the outer corners to help open up the eyes). This can be achieved non-surgically with botox or xeomin, or surgically with a lateral brow lift procedure. Hope this has been helpful. Best - Doc L. 

Paul Lanfranchi, DO, FAOCO
Las Vegas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Do I need an eyelid lift or brow lift?

It’s hard to tell by your pictures. My recommendation would depend on a more comprehensive analysis of your face. It does appear, however, that your brows are rather flat and low in relationship to the orbital rim.  Book a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon to further discuss your case as there are several options available to improve your areas of concern. Best of luck! 

Norman H. Rappaport, MD

Eyelid lift or brow lift ?

This is one of the most common things that I discuss with patients when they come in for an eye lid consultation . A majority of patients need a brow lift but don't know it.  If an eyelid surgery is done but the person needs a brow lift, the results from the eyelid surgery are not as good nor as lasting . A simple way to determine whether a brow lift would help is to do the following test.  Close your eyes. Relax your forehead. Slowly open your eyes. Look at the position of your brow Then with your hand on your fore head lift the brow up. If you need a brow lift there will be a marked improvement with this maneuver . Sometimes it is difficult to do this yourself. That is why a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon experience in facial surgery is necessary.  As far as your photos are concerned it does appear that your brows are low and that you would benefit from a brow lift. It is not possible to tell from the photo if after the brow lift  is done a small eyelid lift would also be needed. This is why you need an in person consultation. 

Andrew Kaczynski, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Possible eyelid or brow lift?

Hello sbg1985! Thank you for sharing your photos. I would recommend a combination of both the eyelid and brow lift. An eyelid lift can definitely lift the droopiness to give that youthful appearance. However, please consult with a board-certified surgeon who can examine you in person. I wish you all the best!

Peter Newen, MD

It Depends

Need is a relative term. What do you prefer? Excess skin removed from your eyelids only, or lifting of the eyebrow? They will give a different look.

According to the universal standard of beauty, however, your eyebrows are below the ideal level. If you accept that standard, do a brow lift. Sometimes that can be accomplished with Botox only. 

If you prefer something more permanent or more dramatic, think in terms of a surgical brow lift. Nowadays that is usually done with the endoscopic brow lift technique. For optimal results, however, you may wish to combine a brow lift with an upper eyelid lift. See a plastic surgeon for details, please.

George Sanders, MD

Endoscopic Browlift Candidate

Dear sbg1985, In patients with droopiness in the eyebrows it is important to lift the eyebrows into their pre-aging position which will reduce the laxity of skin in the upper eyelid and give you a natural and more youthful looking appearance. Removing the skin in an upper lid blepharoplasty would compound the problem pulling your brows down lower and aging you. Most patients who come into my office at your age and have the complaint  of "looking tired" are generally candidates for an endoscopic brow lift. This procedure is a very rewarding procedure. Five of my female office staff have all had the procedure performed due to it's high level of patient satisfaction. See the link below and video above to see how natural these patients look, no over elevated brows, and have a very rested youthful appearance. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Eyelid Rejuvenation

In order to address droopy eyelids, combinations work the best. Most of my patients are getting fractional lasers, fillers, and ultrasound or radiofrequency to get the best results for eyelid rejuvenation. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

eyebrow lift for low and asymmetrical eyebrows

In our practice a browlift is performed to raise low eyebrows, address asymmetrical eyebrows, adjusting the hairline upwards or downwards, and softening the corrugator and frontalis muscles and the forehead that cause wrinkles.  When patients have a pre-existing high hairline along with a low eyebrow position, the incision is usually placed at the hairline to lower it.  If not, the hairline will be raised significantly which is counterproductive. For more information and many examples, please see the link and the video below

Do I need an eyelid lift or brow lift?

Dear sbg1985

I think you would benefit from an eyelid lift to improve the shape and youthfulness of your eyelids. I would also recommend an endoscopic browlift. That can give you a limited lift without noticeable scars. The combined procedure can give you a long-lasting, well rested look.

Look for an experienced and well trained Plastic surgeon, certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. See more than one consult and make a well informed decision.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon