Do I need eye surgery to make my eyes look even? (Photos)

This was bothering me a long time. Eyes look different: size, orientation, form. First time I noticed when I was kid but never talked about it. I'm 25 now and i really feel real uncomfortable when someone wants to take a pic with me. Do I really need some kind of surgery ?

Asymmetry of the eyelids and eyebrows

You have mild asymmetry which may be entirely normal. When asymmetry is bothersome, it is very reasonable to seek consultation with an Oculoplastic surgeon. That consultation would provide a diagnosis and elective options. Then you can take your time with a decision. Ptosis repair on the left is likely to improve your situation. Best wishes.

Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Would need to see more to help

The photo shows some asymmetry in the soft tissue around the eyelid and the bone structure but your answer really requires a discussion as to what bothers you and why.  Every one sees things a bit differently in the mirror, so sitting and discussing what your see with a trained oculoplastic surgeon makes the most sense.  There are too many options to list but yes the symmetry can be improved but it is important to define exaclty what is most important to you !

Eye asymmetry

It appears that you may have left upper eyelid ptosis. Your left eyebrow is higher as a result of compensating for the droopy left upper eyelid. There is also more hollowing above your eyelid and this often occurs when the muscle that helps to keep your lid open is pulling away from its attachments with your upper eyelid. This is why the crease above your eyelid is also higher on the left side. A full exam by an oculoplastic specialist can help to confirm this and rule out any other causes for the ptosis. The ptosis is subtle and you must understand that this small difference is hard to get completely correct with surgery. Visit with a qualified oculoplastic specialist in your area.

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD

Asymmetric eyes

You have slight left upper eyelid ptosis which may be improved with left upper lid ptosis surgery. Another potential option is lowering the right upper eyelid. Another nonsurgical option is filler injection in left upper eyelid/brow to camouflage the asymmetry. See video below. Need in person evaluation with an oculoplastic specialist.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

You need a diagnosis to answer your question.

This simply can not be done off a photograph.  It appears that the left orbit is deeper set than the right side.  For that reason, a detailed consultation and appropriate work up by a fellowship trained oculoplastic surgeon.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a regional directory on their website that can help you find a highly qualified surgeon close to home.

Eyelids/balls different?

Unfortunately, there is nothing that can correct your concern regarding subtle difference in your eyelid shape; everybody is asymmetric as you are.

Arian Mowlavi, MD