Explantation with lift together or wait and heal first before the lift? Also is it possible I would not need a lift? (Photos)

I can't decide if I should get the implants and capsule removed first then wait loose some weight then do a lift after that?

Explantation without lift

Breast implant removal should be performed with complete en bloc capsulectomy without lift.  The capsule should not be left in place or the space will not heal.  In patients that believe that their implants are causing them illness, leaving the capsule behind will not result in any improvement in their symptoms. Because the removal of the capsule and lift performed together can compromise the blood supply to the skin, breast and nipple to a potentially devastating degree, they should never be performed together.  After the explantation with capsulectomy is healed, you can develop a plan for further surgery if it is warranted and is safe from a technical standpoint.  

Removal with lift

I would recommend removal of the implant and a lift.  It certainly can be a staged procedure ( lift done later) or at the same time.  Depends on you and your goals.  I usually do it in one stage if possible.  Look for a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Good luck!

Andrew T. Cohen, MD

Implant removal, add the lift?

I hate to break it to you, but every plastic surgeon would say you "need" a lift with the explant, because you "need" a lift now with the implants in, and removing them will make them more saggy. Listening to your question though, you are clearly at a life change point, where you are ready to motivate to lose weight but have old annoying implants in and don't want to sign up for a lot of surgery etc. The smartest thing would be get yourself in shape NOW, you don't have that much to do and you can do it! Then remove with a lift as your breasts will be the final size. If you are like most of my patients though they just are "done" and want them out, and then we just take them out no lift  and throw logic to the wind ;)

Lisa Cassileth, MD, FACS

#Explant #BreastImplantRemoval - Explantation with lift together or wait?

Based on your photos it looks like you will need a lift in order to be happy with your appearance.  In view of that, I'd probably recommend doing it all at the same time.  While there are many advantages to staging a procedure, it mandates a second surgery.  If one is already pretty sure that you'll need the lift, you might as well do it all at once.  Staging is particularly useful when you're not sure if you would want or need a lift.  You would of course need to be assessed in person by a board-certified plastic surgeon for a full discussion.  I hope that this helps and good luck.  Dr. Alan Engler, Member of #RealSelf500

Lift at the same time as explant?

It is a little hard to tell from the views that you have submitted, but it appears that even with the implants in place, you would benefit from a lift. In cases like yours, I always suggest doing a lift at the same time. You will only sag more without the implants. Besides, if you wait and stage, this is a 100% revision rate. If you go ahead and do the lift, you may be able to get away with one surgery or just a small in office revision later. 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Explantation with lift together or wait and heal first before the lift? Also is it possible I would not need a lift?

I think you will be best off achieving your long-term stable weight prior to undergoing any type of breast surgery. Then, breast implant removal as well as breast lifting will be indicated.  It is likely that you will not be pleased without breast lift surgery.  In your case, I do not think that there are many advantages of staging the procedure; in other words,  breast lifting at the time of breast implant removal surgery should result in a very nice outcome. Best wishes.

Explantation with lift together or wait

to answer your question, we would need more information. Are the implants silicone or saline? Are the capsules contracted or calcified? If Saline, we would recommend deflating them in the office and waiting six weeks so you know what the breast would look like with no implants to decide if you want a lift or not. If silicone we would recommend removing the implants and possibly the capsules depending on the age of the implants and the quality of the capsules and waiting six weeks  before deciding on a lift. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Implant removal and lift

hi and thank you for the question. You can certainly do both procedures at the same time. The most important thing for you to do is find a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in breast procedures. That's your best bet to get a great result with the fewest problems. Good luck. 

Dr West

Justin West, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Remove and lift

There is no reason to wait. Have the lift at the same time so you don't have to undergo another operation. 

Implant removal with Breast Lift

I would definitely recommend implant removal with breast lift. In my opinion, there is no need to wait and have 2 separate surgeries. It is your decision whether or not you want a breast lift. If you just take your implants out, you will have more sagging. If that is not an issue for you, you may be satisfied. However, you are large and saggy, so based on your photos, a breast lift will make your appearance much more youthful and attractive, while moving the areola up so it is pointing straight ahead and not at the ground. If you are unsure, you can take the implants out as a first stage and see if you like it. You can always get  a breast lift in the future.