Explant with or without Lift?

I'm looking to reverse my breast augmentation surgery after almost 10 years. I'm 29 and just had my first baby (2 weeks ago), though I'd like to have another in a couple of years. Would an explant fix my saggy, heavy boobs, or would I need a lift too?

Explant with or without Lift? (photos)

Dear Korrimaxwell,

Congratulations on your new baby! This is certainly an exciting time, and I would also venture to say a time that larger breasted women HATE their breasts! I personally would not recommend considering any breast surgery until you are 6 months out from breast feeding, and for the most reliable result possibly wait until your are done having children.

If you have saline implants you might consider having your implants deflated (I also would not do this while breast feeding unless absolutely necessary) and then hold off on the definitive surgery until you are done having kids. If you have silicone that are intact on MRI, removal could also be done quite easily under local and addressed definitively when you are ready for your lift. There is no question that the lift would improve the overall proportions of your breasts. Waiting until you are done with breast feeding will also give you a more accurate idea of your final breast volume as it will likely be quite different that what you are seeing now.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant removal

Congratulations on your new baby.  It is best for you to wait 3-6 months after you have stopped breastfeeding before considering surgery.  At that time an evaluation can be performed to determine if it is likely you would benefit from a lift after explantation.  Pregnancy and breastfeeding can further change the breasts, so an evaluation at this point could be misleading.

Camille Cash, MD

Saggy Boobs and Breast Lift

Congratulations on your first child!  Pregnancy can have a profound effect on your breast, with engorgement, heaviness, loss of the natural breast tissue support, and even atrophy, leading to saggy droopy breasts.  It is too soon to know where your breasts will settle  because of your recent pregnancy.  I would give yourself 3-6 months after breast feeding (if you plan on breast feeding).  Then get evaluated by a plastic surgeon.  It is likely that you will need a breast lift with or without removing the implants (depending on your goals).  If you are planning having more children soon, it may be wise to wait until after.  You should speak to your surgeon to discuss your options.  Good luck!

Steven Svehlak, MD

Explant with or without Lift?

Since we don't know anything about style or size of your implants it's pretty hard to give any advice. The most likely thing that will happen after explant would be the breasts staying about where they are but flatter. In any case the photos show such significant droop I think you will need a major lift for good aesthetics. If the implants are saline the surgeon can deflate them through the skin in the office with a needle so you can see exactly what explant is going to look like. That is not possible with the silicone variety of implants.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Explant will not lift your breasts

An explant would not lift your breasts, in fact it will droop your breasts. You will need a lift; if you are going to have more surgery, I would wait until you are done with breast feeding as a lift will compromise your ability to breast feed.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Explant with or without Lift?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Based on your photographs, breast implant removal surgery alone will not "fix" your concerns.  Breast reduction/lifting surgery will also be necessary  to treat your concerns.  Timing of surgery will be an important consideration;  best to undergo elective breast surgery six months after you have stopped breast-feeding and once you have achieved your long-term stable weight.  If at all possible, in order to avoid additional surgery in the future, best to have completed pregnancies altogether.

Lots to think about.   When the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate lots of examples  achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. Best wishes.

Do I need a lift?

Hello and thanks for your photo-

It will be important to get an individualized consultation, but you will probably want to consider having a lift as well as removing your implants. Simply removing your implants isn't likely to lift or reshape your breasts. That being said, women who are planning to have more children should consider waiting until after their babies are born to have additional breast surgery.

I hope that helps-

Lift after removing implants

This is a very common scenario.  Based on your pictures you would probably look and feel better with a lift in addition to removing your implants.  I would recommend waiting at least 6 months until you have stopped breast feeding or after pregnancy to have any breast surgery.  Your body is undergoing a lot of changes at this time, and you need to make sure that your breast size and shape is stable before having any elective surgery.  Also realize that if you are planning to have another child in the future, this might cause your breasts to change shape again.  I would recommend that you have a consultation with a plastic surgeon who can perform an exam and discuss what options would be best for you.  Best of luck!