Explanation surgery. I had textured mentor gummy implants put in via periareolar incision and want them removed? (Photo)

I had my implants put in when I was about 30 years old. That was 10 years ago. . I want them out but concerned about scarring and also sagging. I was a 34a prior to surgery--after a full B. Since I have textured implants will it be difficult to remove? Would I be a good candidate for an internal lift? Will same incision site be used?

In person consultation

Thank you for reaching out and sharing photos. It is always difficult to say from photos whether or not you will need a lift with removing implants. Be sure to visit a few experienced board certified surgeons for in person exams and then you can become well informed on all of your options and which ones will get you an end result you will love. Best of luck! Dr. Kim

In person consultation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Removing textured implants

Textured implants can be removed through the same incision, similar to smooth. Technically it's not much different from smooth implant removal. For me, the absolute minimum after that is pec muscle repair. Other add-ons for a great surgery are internal lift (sutures placed to lift the breast tissue together inside) and fat grafting, but that is determined in an individual basis.

Removing textured implants

Implant Removal

Yes, you are a great candidate for removal. Since you aren't all that large, you will unlikely need a lift after removal.  I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with.   Finally, make sure your surgeon is a Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgery (ASPS) and the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS).
Dr. Desai
Beverly Hills Institute for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Implant Removal

Dr. Desai

Explantation

You should do well with implant removal and no internal lift. Seek a breast specialist and drains may be placed to reduce seroma formation. Best of luck 

Explantation

Implant removal

You will lose the volume and fullness that the implants provide, but the breasts will retract to some degree after removal.  The degree to which that happens will depend upon your skin integrity.  I recommend a visit with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who will be able to provide more specific answers after an exam.

Implant removal

Removing breast implants

Hi BlakeLA,

I agree with the recommendations of the answers you have received. Based on the appearance of your photos I would recommend removal of your implants by itself first. It is my opinion that once the skin tightens you would not have must sagging but it may take 4-6 months for the skin to fully tighten. It would be difficult to remove the textured implants through the same periareolar incision and I would recommend an breast crease incision instead for removal. Of course all of this needs to be confirmed by a face -to -face exam by a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Best of luck.

Robert B. Pollack, MD

Removing breast implants

Hi BlakeLA,

Best of luck.

Robert B. Pollack, MD

Removal of textured implants is not more complicated than removal of smooth implants

Removal of your implants will leave you with a smaller breast. Since I do not know how large your implants are it is difficult to estimate your final appearance. However, judging from your age and your photos I believe you would have a perfectly cute and perky tear-drop breast shape (which is the normal breast shape). I do not think you need any type of lift (external or internal). Regarding the incision, I would use one under the breast in the inframammary crease for the best approach to remove the capsular tissue.

Thank for the question and photo. It is difficult to answer your question without examining you. It is a little more difficult however possible for explanation. You may require a lift and it would be best to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to determine what is the best technique. Good luck.

Breast explantation surgery.

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  Though textured implants can be a bit more difficult to remove than smooth implants it should not make a material difference. It appears that your tissue quality is still excellent and I would not anticipate the need for a breast lift procedure, but only an in-person examination can confirm this.  With implant removal I favor a new breast crease incision.  Hope this helps.

Breast explantation surgery.

Breast implant removal

Dear BlakeLA,

if you are considering implant removal you should consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon. The implants can be removed using the same incision so you wouldn't get any new scars. Only after the implant is removed, the true shape of your breasts will be seen. And only then you would know if you are a candidate for a breast lift.

Daniel Barrett, MD, MHA, MS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Member, Am. Society of Plastic Surgery

Breast implant removal

Dear BlakeLA,

Daniel Barrett, MD, MHA, MS 

Member, Am. Society of Plastic Surgery