Explanation and lift; ps says I won't need drains? Is that normal?

Hello I see that on a lot of explanations with drain bags but I'm having explanation and lift and the plastic Surgon says I won't need drains is that ok? she is a board certified plastic surgeon.

Explantation with lifts

Thank you for your question.  I personally have patients use drains for a few days post explantation to avoid a seroma (collection of blood/blood products) in the pocket where the implant was in the first place.  Best of luck to you

Explanation and lift - is it ok to note use drains?

Thank you for asking about your breast explanation and lift.

• The decision to use drains truly depends on your surgeon's preference, what is done at surgery and how things look on the operating table.
  • It is perfectly acceptable to not use drains if you don't need one - and I have often found that in smaller women, they are not necessary.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Drains

Every surgeon have their own protocol in regards to drains.  Many times this decision is made at surgery.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Drains are necessary

For explant surgery, it is almost always best to remove the capsule in its entirety.  This will allow the space to heal.  If you leave the capsule in place, it does not heal.  Fluid can accumulate in the space.  The situation that brings the patient to implant removal will have an affect on the decision.  This is a surgery which requires discussion with the plastic surgeon about the problem, the goals, and the technical concerns.  The body does not re-absorb the capsule.  Revision surgery requires drains because the fluid is going to be generated when you operate on the scar capsule.  If you provide a mechanism for the fluid to be removed (i.e. drains), the risks are lower.  If the fluid accumulates because there were no drains, it will most certainly cause problems in the future.

#Explant #BreastImplantRemoval - and lift; ps says I won't need drains?

There are no absolutes with respect to the use of drains.  Some surgeons use them all (or nearly all) of the time for a procedures such as this, some almost never, and some decide depending on the extent of the procedure, and may adjust that decision intra-operatively.  I would typically use drains for this procedure but there is little hard data supporting that either way.  You should discuss this with your own PS and ask her why she is opting for this approach.  It sounds like you've done your research in choosing a board-certified PS and so you can be comfortable with whatever decisions are made at each step of the way.  I hope that this helps and good luck.  Dr. Alan Engler, Member of #RealSelf 500

To use drains or not

You have chosen a board certified surgeon to care for you. I would recommend you discuss any concerns with her and she will choose the correct treatment that suits you best.

Dr. Edwards

Explanation and drains?

Practices will vary. Personally, I find the use of drains helpful during almost all cases involving removal of breast implants.  Best wishes.

Drains or no drains

Removing implants and performing a lift does not mandate the use of drains following the procedure. I will use drains if all of the capsule surrounding the implant is removed. I would proceed if you are comfortable with your surgeon.

Are drains needed for explantation and a lift?

Typically, if only an explantation is done (removal of implants), drains are not necessary. As far as the lift goes, it depends on the type of lift and the surgeon preference. Some surgeons use drains, while others do not. A more extensive lift may require drains, again, depending on the surgeon and the amount of dissection and bleeding. There is no right answer here.

Gustavo E. Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon