Expert opinions on rhinoplasty ideas? (Photos)

I've been considering a rhinoplasty and I've decided 100% I want to do it asap! I know I'm probably not the worst case in the world, but I really dislike the side profile view of my nose there's a bump in it and I'm wondering whether I need any further work not just the bridge of the nose, like the tip or anything else? I'm a bit green on this. Can anyone tell me their opinions on what they would do if they were working on it? Would be much appreciated, thankyou! (Sorry photo quality not great)

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from a conservative dorsal hump reduction.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Expert opinions on rhinoplasty ideas?

Hi, I have performed many Rhinoplasty Surgeries over the past 30 years.  From the photos, there's a dorsal hump with a tip that is a bit wide.  Rhinoplasty can reduce the dorsal hump, thin and refine the tip in about an hour using a closed Rhinoplasty. It's also worth mentioning that if the chin is weak (profile view would allow this to be evaluated), this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.Hope this helps.

Reducing bump and whether to do any tip changes?

Hi CharlotFrom your photos it appears that modest tip refinement and possibly slight tip grafting would help the appearance. I find computer imaging often helps the patient visualize the goals of the procedure.

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dear charlotteamy, A rhinoplasty to narrow the bridge of the nose, slightly reduce the dorsal hump, and refine the tip of your nose would bring a nice balance to your profile and overall facial aesthetics. During consultation imaging can be performed to show you examples of the proposed results and how these changes will help feminize your face. Once this is done then you can review books of before and after photographs of patients who have similar looking noses to ensure your surgeon provides natural looking rhinoplasty results. See the video above of a similar nose and the link below of many examples of how rewarding this procedure can be. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Rhinoplasty for a more feminine and attractive nose.

This would include hump removal, tip refinement and narrowing of your bridge etc. See several very experienced rhinoplasty surgeons and choose one whose noses look natural and not overdone. 

Rhinoplasty candidate for dorsal hump reduction

A thorough examination of the internal and external portion of the nose is required to make a judgment determination about exactly the maneuvers needed to refine and feminize the nose. Based on the limited photographs, a closed rhinoplasty approach can accomplish the needed changes with all the incisions placed on the inside of the nose. The dorsal hump is composed of both bone and cartilage which must be shaved down in order to remove it. Osteotomies will be required to be placed in the nasal bones to close the open roof and narrow the bridge line. Small spreader graphs may be required to support the upper lateral cartilages to prevent them from collapsing inward. A minimal amount of  tip surgery may be required which would include  a conservative removal of cartilage from the tip. Rhinoplasty is a difficult endeavor, so choose your surgeon very wisely based on extensive experience. For more information in many rhinoplasty before-and-afters, please see the video and the link below

Expert opinions on rhinoplasty ideas?

Every nose is different and unique to that individual. If the appearance of your nose concerns you enough to do something about it, it can be improved with a natural artistically performed rhinoplasty. What would be the best option and exact procedure would depend on an in person examination (not just an online consultation) and discussion about desired outcome. Excellent results can be achieved with either a closed or open technique.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do and how technically to do it based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with.  You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California  

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Goals

A rhinoplasty specialist will be able to comprehensively address the issues you have with your nose. While there are a variety of approaches and techniques employed by various surgeons, it is up to you to do your due diligence to find a rhinoplasty specialist in order to achieve the best results possible. Using autologous grafts (tissue and cartilage from your own body) will provide the safest and most permanent results. Looking at computer-morphed images with your surgeon during consultation will give you a good idea of what is possible, and also give you a great chance to convey to your surgeon what you envision.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Closed rhinoplasty candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD