So much excess skin (total loss 170) that a second tummy tuck is required?

I had a lower body lift and arm lift with fat transfer to my butt. The surgeon said that he got my stomach as tight as he could but I'll probably need a second tummy tuck in the future because I had so much skin. Is there a possibility that I couldn't be under anesthesia longer and he didn't have time to tighten me more? Or is this a common thing? I've never heard of having so much skin you need a second surgery.

Excess weight loss

congrats on the massive weight loss. It is not unusual to need secondary procedures after massive weight loss and stretched skin. I often find that patients with very nice results will complain that more needs to be taken, but there is only so much tension that can be placed on thin skin, and the downside is wound dehiscence and slow healing. Stick with your surgeons suggestions as he or she knows you best.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Second tummy tuck

I would not be surprised if you needed some sort of secondary procedure to remove more skin, but I doubt it will require an entire redo of the tummy tuck.  More likely to be a less involved touch up type procedure.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Revision tummy tuck

It is not uncommon to see post bariatric patients who have not been aggressively tightened to require a revision tightening of their abdominal skin flaps. This is because of a condition called recurrent skin laxity syndrome. It is critical to have aggressive excision of skin redundancy to counter this phenomenon.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

I'm sorry to hear about your concerns but online consultants will not be of much specific help to you in this regard.  Assuming you have selected your plastic surgeon carefully, it is most likely that he/she removed as much skin as safely possible. Keep in mind, generally speaking, that most reputable plastic surgeons work very hard to achieve outcomes their patients will be pleased with, understanding that safety and avoidance of complications is also a paramount concern.
 Again, best to seek clarification from your plastic surgeon if you remain concerned. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

2nd TT

Thank you for the question but a photo or better yet an examination is really needed to adequately answer your it.  That said it would be very unusual for a surgeon to not try to give you the best result possible in one operation
Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Second Tummy Tuck Needed?

Hello and thank you for your question. I can only say that a photo may help better analyze how much skin is left for additional tightening procedure. Luckily, if there is not a great deal left then you may be able to undergo only a mini or modified tummy tuck, which could potentially have local anesthesia and a lighter recovery overall.An #abdominoplasty is usually done under general anesthesia. It is usually an outpatient operation unless a more extended procedure is needed or the patient requests overnight care.  Mini or modified tummy tucks can be performed with local or usually twilight (iv sedation) if the patient requests. This would also be an outpatient procedure without requiring overnight stay in the hospital, and recovery would be much easier. Most likely the best thing to do is discuss in person with your surgeon, and make sure the initial incisions and scars are healed before scheduling the second. Best of luck!

So much skin excess... That a second operation would be beneficial

Losing 170 pounds is a monumental achievement. Surgery to help you achieve the aesthetic look which you deserve and have worked so hard to reach is definitely the way to go. When your tissues and skin have been stretched out by the excess adipose tissue correcting this is possible but complicated. Minimizing post operative complications is a major goal while looking to help you achieve your aesthetic shape. Rebound stretching of your skin following surgery is not uncommon and some degree of a "touch up" would not be outside of the reasonable care in a massive weight loss patient. With that being said, it is important to be patient in the post op period as the surgical swelling can make tissues look irregular at this point. Massage and good follow up with your plastic surgeon are essential to optimize results. Make sure you follow your physicians instructions and ask questions if you are unclear.

Dr. C