Encapsulated breast implants indicator of possible trouble w/ other body implants. Any suggestions?

I had breast implants for 30 yrs w/o problems. Last 10 yrs had many encapsulations and replacements. I'm scheduled for knee replacement and wonder if it's possible my body will react to new knee in same way and encapsulate it too? Thank you!

Breast Capsule

There is no reason why you should have any problems with your knee surgery because of your encapulated breast.  

Encapsulation of knee

It's my opinion that all prostheses whether breast or made of metal or ceramics will have some type of scar around them. Because a knee prosthesis is of a firmer or metal like consistency there's nothing for the capsule to squeeze against. Therefore, even if there is a capsule it's of no consequence. I would have no problem recommending that you have knee surgery. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Repetitive Capsular Contracture

Your recurrent capsular contractures are not an indicator of a problem with your body, and you shouldn't be concerned about your orthopedic procedure.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Encapsulation indicator of touble with knee surgery

Encapsulation of your breasts has to do with free silicone material; please note that this should not affect your knee surgery in any way.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Capsular contracture

That's a very good question, and one I've wondered about over the years as well. I'm not sure I've ever seen convincing evidence that problems with another implantable device (joint replacements, ports, pacemakers, shunts, etc.) correlate with breast implant capsules. We don't know for certain what causes problems w/ breast implant capsules (contracture), although there are several leading theories. It probably is more related to bacterial infection or device-specific interactions w/ our bodies. I hope that helps a bit. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon