1 week post-op Tummy Tuck: Why does the drain incision look like I have "dog ears," and the other side does not? (photos)

Hello, I had my Abdominoplasty w/lipo of flanks on 10/17/16. I still have my drain in on the right side. The drain incision seems irritated and does not look like the rest of the incision. I haven't had any foul smells or liquids coming from the drain incision or increased redness. I'm just worried about my scar by the drain being unsightly. Am I being too paranoid?

Paranoid...

as your incisions are looking very good for having had a tummy tuck.  Allow yourself to heal and if you have concerns about the appearances or quality of your scar, you should be able to discuss them with your surgeon, especially at the visit when your post-op photos are taken.

Scarearly after tummy tuck

What the scar or incision looks like at one week is not what it will look like at 3 or 6 months.  Concentrate on getting through the immediate postop period and healing before worrying about the final results. You are very early in your course.  Review all your concerns with your plastic surgeon and follow all of his/her advice for proper healing. Best wishes.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Recovery

Your drain have been in long enough that they should be pulled out regardless of output. Your outcome (whether or not you develop a seroma) will be the same. This is why I have stopped using drains for over 5 years; your risk of seroma is much higher with them. As for your incisions, the drain side has 'gathered' skin, the other side doesn't. When you heal, there may not be much difference in their appearance. Have this discussion with your surgeon about removing drains; he should know about the recently released data. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Dog ears

You are not at the stage of healing yet where you have dog ears along the incision line.  Please continue to follow the advice of your surgeon.  Dog ears do not declare themselves for several months from now.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Ali Mosharrafa

Ali Mosharrafa, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon