Will I get a discount on my Tummy Tuck/love handle lipo if I have it done at the same time as my incisional hernia repair?

I have a small incisional hernia - about 10 cm, vertical, above my naval. The insurance company (Kaiser) will cover the hernia. Would it make economic sense to get a Tummy Tuck/lipo at the same time? If so, how might they calculate that and how much might I save?

Dr. Derby Sang caputo

thank you for your question.

Prices vary depending on where you are having you surgery done and with who. I suggest you to contact a board certified PS and go over all your concerns, i asure you will find one that can help you.

Best of luck

Definitely a money saving possibility

Often times there is a cost saving by combining insurance and cosmetic procedures. However, this depends on how things are arranged between your PS and the hospital/anesthesia groups. Usually hospitals and anesthesia groups charge by the hour, with the first hours being the most expensive. If the insurance portion of the procedure eats up these initial, more expensive hours, then you can possibly shave off a few hundred dollars. Although a large institution like Kaiser may not offer this flexibility. It is definitely worth asking.

David Graham, MD
Rochester Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question. Generally speaking, these types of combination surgical procedures are done routinely. In many practices (will vary from one practice to another), there may be cost advantages of combining procedures. However, you are wise in being concerned about the safety  and quality of outcome of combination surgery; risks/possible complications do increase with increased length of surgery… 

It is best to evaluate each patient's suitability for combination surgery on an individualized basis. During this consultation process, after a complete history and physical, the SAFETY of combining these surgical procedures becomes of paramount importance. Plastic surgeon, anesthesia provider, duration of surgery, surgery facility all important considerations. 

Your best bet: choose your plastic surgeon very carefully; everything else including good judgment/advice/planning,  anesthesia provider, safe surgery facility,  and ultimately better outcomes will follow.  Best wishes.

Kaiser insurance and tummy tuck

The problem is that Kaiser insurance will not allow you to go to a none Kaiser surgeon; so you will have to get your Kaiser plastic surgeon to do the tummy tuck for you at the same time as the incisional hernia repair. I am not familiar with facility costs for cosmetic cases at the Kaiser hospital, but this can be an expensive component.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Usually a plastic surgeon will repair a hernia at the time of the tummy tuck, but Kaiser usually only works within its own group of physicians.

Tummy Tuck Discount

Hello

Kaiser is not doing cosmetic surgery. They "may" give you a discount. Best to ask them directly!

Good luck

Michael Kulick, MD, DDS

Kaiser

Kaiser is an HMO and may not do a TT and Lipo with your hernia repair but someone in private practice might  if doing your TT and Lipo but Kaiser will not reimburse them

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Will I get a discount

You will find no one here is going to predict what your surgeon and the hospital might charge. Why not just ask them? I doubt there would be a discount but it never hurts to inquire. Good luck..

Ronald V. DeMars, MD