Differences between Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation Treatments?

I'm trying to find out information about Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation Treatments. I see there are a few different products on the market - MonaLisa Touch, FemiLift, Intimalase and ThermiVa? Could someone please explain if there are any differences with these treatment, or if one is more effective than the others. I am wanting to try one to increase vaginal tightness. If anyone has had any success I would also love to hear that. Thank you!

In a nutshell, Fractional laser resurfacing works and the radio frequency based devices do not work. ThermiVA is a radio frequency based device that works through direct bulk heating. ThermiVa has been supported by claims that it increases lubrication and improves vaginal function. In that ThermiVa is not FDA approved for intra-vaginal use, and that these claims are not supported by any valid, peer reviewed studies that I can find, it is unlikely that ThermiVa will help with any vaginal issues in a lasting way.. This technology is not able to raise tissue temperatures sufficiently to promote new collagen growth (Neocollagenesis), which is necessary for any lasting results. It has been shown that Neocollagenesis occurs ONLY when the tissues are heated to 60-70C. ThermiVa absolutely does not heat tissues to 60-70C, but only achieves perhaps 45-55 degrees Celsius. By heating the vaginal lining tissues, ThermiVa causes swelling, or edema. There is no scientific basis that supports the notion of ThermiVa producing long lasting results. Furthermore, as we all learned in 2nd year medical school pathology class, chronic inflammation and edema leads to FIBROSIS (a pathologic process). Fibrosis is a disorderly process of SCAR FORMATION, as opposed to the functionally regenerative process of Neocollagenesis. Think about nasty ugly scars on the skin that occur due to injury. That is the process of scar formation. Fractional laser devices, such as Femi Lift by Alma lasers, actually have been shown through rigorous scientific study, to promote Neocollagenesis by heating the vaginal lining tissues to 60-70 degrees Celsius. Furthermore, Femi Lift also causes fractional ablation of the vaginal lining, resulting in regrowth of a thicker and more youthful vaginal lining. In my practice we have treated dozens of patients with Femi Lift and I have nor seen a single treatment failure. Furthermore, most, if not all of my stress urinary incontinence patients (mild to moderate severity) have completely resolved their SUI.

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Different Lasers for Vaginal therapies

There are many different treatments for vaginal rejunevation. First, I don't like the term vaginal rejuvenation. The specific condition should be treated and use the best modality for it.
Mona Lisa Touch is a CO2 fractional laser which actually treats the atrophic vagina and improves the tissue, thereby relieving vaginal dryness and pain with sex. There are several other off label uses where the physican may offer it's use. The Mona Lisa Touch is the only CO2 fractional laser specifically designed for this. Femilift is another co2 laser, but is more similar to the standard fractional lasers and not specifically designed for treating the vagina.
Intimalase is a UYAG laser, again different design. ThemiVa is a radiofrequency machine which delivers heat for vaginal contouring and not to treat atrophic vaginal tisse.
Bottom line, know what you need and know where to go to get it

Peter D. Weiss, MD
Beverly Hills OB/GYN

Diva for vaginal rejuvenation

The diVa laser is an erbium laser used for vaginal tightening, improved moisture, and relief of urinary incontinence. It requires 3 treatments, done one month apart, and then touched up once a year thereafter. \

Patients report improved sexual function, less irritation/dryness, and improved leaking (especially after childbirth). What I love about this laser is that it does not require an in and out motion during the treatment like the others (I wouldn't feel comfortable, even as a woman, with the "manipulation" required by the other treatments out there). The treatment takes 3 minutes and is very well tolerated with just numbing cream.

All in all, an awesome thing to do for yourself.

Hope that helps!
Sheila Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Vaginal Tightening Treatments

There are many options for this. What is important is whether or not you are seeking external vagina, internal vagina or mons pubis (area above the vagina). they are all treated differently.  Some treatments are "lasers" and some are radiofrequency.  I suggest seeing someone who has experience and can give you their input.  I typically use radiofrequency externally or fat transfer and then if needed internally lasers or radiofrequency depending on the condition.  A formal consultation is needed.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation & Tightening Options

This is a question that comes up frequently.

Many new procedures are being marketed as nonsurgical alternatives. Here's the lowdown:

Femilift, the Mona Lisa Touch, IntimaLase  and ThermiVa procedures are nonsurgical laser procedures (ThermiVa is radiofrequency heat) that treat the skin of the vaginal canal. They use the same technology of fractional laser skin peeling and radiofrequency(RF) tightening used for the face. 

When the vagina loosens after childbirth, it's the muscles that have loosened. The skin stretches too, but the distances between the levator muscles (Kegel muscles) and the muscles of perineum is commonly permanently widened. In addition, the attachments of pelvic floor muscles, the bladder, and the rectum can become damaged. Procedures generally known as vaginoplasty and pelvic floor reconstruction are designed to fix the damage, tighten the muscles, and tighten the skin to create a long lasting and effective solution. LVT, cures none of these things. It's designed to provide a mild superficial and temporary shrink to the vaginal skin only, not the muscles and not to damage to the pelvic floor. It's a trade-off. If you want something nonsurgical with no downtime that's less expensive, that yields milder, temporary results, then LVT or RF might be your thing. For my patients, the decision process is similar to choosing between Botox and a facelift. They both improve wrinkles, but one requires a much larger commitment of time, courage and dollars. I offer both options in my center and my patients appreciate the opportunity to explore all of their alternatives.

Laser or RF vaginal tightening. FemiLift, Mona Lisa Touch, ThermiVa for vaginal tightening

Hello!

I have previously answered this questions a few times- check the key words...  Briefly, all of the systems you mention give similar results and cost ~ the same.  They all use either light wave energy (Laser- FemiLift, IntimaLase, Mona Lisa) or sound wave energy (RF- ThermiVa) to modestly "snug" the vagina at one power setting, or to "loosen and rejuvenate" a tight, atrophic vagina at another power setting. **PLEASE CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW FOR FULL DETAILS on FemiLift (the sysrtem I have in my office); the same info really applies to all of the Laser systems.

Here is the important thing!! DO NOT go to a doc for vaginal tightening who ONLY offers Laser/RF as the only method they have; make sure the surgeon you see is also savvy and skilled at SURGICAL vaginal tightening, and is prepared to work with you with pelvic floor P.T. (physical therapy). While Laser or RF tightening is perfect for some, it is woefully inadequate for those patients who have significant laxity, and it does nothing to alter the physical appearance of the opening.  If a doc only offers Laser/RF as their only vaginal tightening procedure, it means they are not trained to surgically deal with the area, and may offer you an inadequate procedure.  Additionally, whichever you choose, the ultimate long-term success hinges as well on the P.T. work that you yourself do.

Good Luck!

Michael P Goodman MD

Vaginal therapy options

There are a variety of vaginal laser and radiofrequency options that have come out over the past two years to treat Vulvovaginal atrophy. Many of these options have added benefit of improving incontinence and laxity issues. The options include fractional CO2 lasers (MonaLisa Touch & Femilift), Radiofrequency (TERMIva) and now erbium laser (Diva). The first to market and to have the most scientific data behind these technologies is the MonaLisa Touch laser. All other technologies are trying to catch-up and replicate its results. The radiofrequency option TERMIva has been anecdotally shown to improve lubrication and cosmetic results as well as mild urinary incontinence. Many physicians around the country believe in "their" laser technology and why they use them. However, the Monalisa appears to be the current leader in providing scientific relevance for women who suffer from vaginal atrophy, Incontinence and possibly bladder infections. As an expert in female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery our office offers Mona Lisa Touch and TERMIva as options.

Differences Between Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation Treatments

The best procedure approach will be discussed in greater detail during your one-on-one consultation.#Non-surgical treatments with #Thermiva radiofrequency can reduce the labia for some patients. With the availability of recent technology, there are few nonsurgical vaginal rejuvenation options available for our patients. CO2 fractionated lasers include the FemiLift, MonaLisa Touch and IntimaLase. The ThermiVa is radiofrequency energy that can also treat the outer Labia to reduce and tighten this area.
It can increase blood flow, sensitivity, and orgasm. It can increase moisture and decrease urinary incontinence for many women.
PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma ) can be added to these procedures which may make a difference in the outcome. It can be injected into the vaginal mucosa to increase circulation and vaginal health, O-shot. PRP can also be used for a ā€œGā€ Shot which is injected into the G-spot.
Such non-surgical laser vaginal rejuvenation require approximately 3 sessions. Once or twice yearly follow up treatments are recommended to maintain vaginal health. Also, if PRP is being added there is an additional fee per treatment session.
However, surgery is the most common treatment. It can usually corrected your concern in less than one hour with the use of a local anaesthetic. Often, many women feel more comfortable and relaxed with a quick twilight or general anaesthetic. Each procedure is customized to the physical findings as well as the desired goals of the patient.
There is no one right solution for all patients, but there is a solution for every woman. The outcome of a Labiaplasty is a more youthful appearance, ability to wear all types of clothing without discomfort and/or embarrassment, and a more confident sex life.

Laser Vaginal Tightening

If your primary goal is vaginal tightening then I would recommend the IntimaLase procedure. Clinical results show an average shrinkage of 17% in the vaginal canal after a single IntimaLase treatment. In 95% of cases patients report a noticeable difference, and most women who had the procedure done said that they felt more intense sensations and deeper orgasms. I've even had some patients tell me that their partners were shocked at the difference even after the first treatment. This procedure is quick with no pain and no downtime. Hope this helps.

Shelena Lalji, MD
Sugar Land OB/GYN

Vaginal rejuvenation

The difference in the products on the market for vaginal tightening is the energy that they use. For example Monalisa and Femilift use laser energy while thermaVi uses radiofreg. If you are only interested in vaginal tightening I think you will get good results from any of the products. Monalisa has really good data on its outcomes and is well studied. It is also indicated for vaginal dryness, irritation and painful intercourse due to decreased estrogen levels. I offer the Monalisa Touch and have had very good results. 

John Baten, MD
Jackson OB/GYN