Differences between Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation Treatments?

I'm trying to find out information about Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation Treatments. I see there are a few different products on the market - MonaLisa Touch, FemiLift, Intimalase and ThermiVa? Could someone please explain if there are any differences with these treatment, or if one is more effective than the others. I am wanting to try one to increase vaginal tightness. If anyone has had any success I would also love to hear that. Thank you!

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
In a nutshell, Fractional laser resurfacing works and the radio frequency based devices do not work. ThermiVA is a radio frequency based device that works through direct bulk heating. ThermiVa has been supported by claims that it increases lubrication and improves vaginal function. In that ThermiVa is not FDA approved for intra-vaginal use, and that these claims are not supported by any valid, peer reviewed studies that I can find, it is unlikely that ThermiVa will help with any vaginal issues in a lasting way.. This technology is not able to raise tissue temperatures sufficiently to promote new collagen growth (Neocollagenesis), which is necessary for any lasting results. It has been shown that Neocollagenesis occurs ONLY when the tissues are heated to 60-70C. ThermiVa absolutely does not heat tissues to 60-70C, but only achieves perhaps 45-55 degrees Celsius. By heating the vaginal lining tissues, ThermiVa causes swelling, or edema. There is no scientific basis that supports the notion of ThermiVa producing long lasting results. Furthermore, as we all learned in 2nd year medical school pathology class, chronic inflammation and edema leads to FIBROSIS (a pathologic process). Fibrosis is a disorderly process of SCAR FORMATION, as opposed to the functionally regenerative process of Neocollagenesis. Think about nasty ugly scars on the skin that occur due to injury. That is the process of scar formation. Fractional laser devices, such as Femi Lift by Alma lasers, actually have been shown through rigorous scientific study, to promote Neocollagenesis by heating the vaginal lining tissues to 60-70 degrees Celsius. Furthermore, Femi Lift also causes fractional ablation of the vaginal lining, resulting in regrowth of a thicker and more youthful vaginal lining. In my practice we have treated dozens of patients with Femi Lift and I have nor seen a single treatment failure. Furthermore, most, if not all of my stress urinary incontinence patients (mild to moderate severity) have completely resolved their SUI.

Different Lasers for Vaginal therapies

There are many different treatments for vaginal rejunevation. First, I don't like the term vaginal rejuvenation. The specific condition should be treated and use the best modality for it.
Mona Lisa Touch is a CO2 fractional laser which actually treats the atrophic vagina and improves the tissue, thereby relieving vaginal dryness and pain with sex. There are several other off label uses where the physican may offer it's use. The Mona Lisa Touch is the only CO2 fractional laser specifically designed for this. Femilift is another co2 laser, but is more similar to the standard fractional lasers and not specifically designed for treating the vagina.
Intimalase is a UYAG laser, again different design. ThemiVa is a radiofrequency machine which delivers heat for vaginal contouring and not to treat atrophic vaginal tisse.
Bottom line, know what you need and know where to go to get it

Peter D. Weiss, MD
Beverly Hills OB/GYN

Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation & Tightening Options

This is a question that comes up frequently.

Many new procedures are being marketed as nonsurgical alternatives. Here's the lowdown:

Femilift, the Mona Lisa Touch, IntimaLase  and ThermiVa procedures are nonsurgical laser procedures (ThermiVa is radiofrequency heat) that treat the skin of the vaginal canal. They use the same technology of fractional laser skin peeling and radiofrequency(RF) tightening used for the face. 

When the vagina loosens after childbirth, it's the muscles that have loosened. The skin stretches too, but the distances between the levator muscles (Kegel muscles) and the muscles of perineum is commonly permanently widened. In addition, the attachments of pelvic floor muscles, the bladder, and the rectum can become damaged. Procedures generally known as vaginoplasty and pelvic floor reconstruction are designed to fix the damage, tighten the muscles, and tighten the skin to create a long lasting and effective solution. LVT, cures none of these things. It's designed to provide a mild superficial and temporary shrink to the vaginal skin only, not the muscles and not to damage to the pelvic floor. It's a trade-off. If you want something nonsurgical with no downtime that's less expensive, that yields milder, temporary results, then LVT or RF might be your thing. For my patients, the decision process is similar to choosing between Botox and a facelift. They both improve wrinkles, but one requires a much larger commitment of time, courage and dollars. I offer both options in my center and my patients appreciate the opportunity to explore all of their alternatives.

Vaginal tightening options for the safest and best result

The important thing to realize is that industry is aware of the growing attention to vaginal condition and it's connection to women's confidence and sexual pleasure in modern times.  There are many companies that are trying to capitalize on these concerns.  These "new technologies" exist not because they are efficacious or offer something beneficial but rather because there is an extremely profitable market.  These lasers claim to promote "vaginal health" without even qualifying what that statement means.  The most common draw is the concept of "vaginal tightening."  The thought is that coagulative contraction would cause shrinkage of the vaginal walls making a tighter vagina.  This simply doesn't work and if it did would cause big problems.  The important thing to understand is that the vagina does not naturally get tightness from its lining.  During climax the vagina can open up significantly and there is enough surface area of lining in a young and tight vagina to allow a baby through.  Vaginal tightness comes from muscular sling and soft tissue.  Laxity can be attributed to both less tone and less soft tissue from atrophy.  Attempts to directly tighten the vagina like excisional vaginoplasty almost invariably lead the to pain with intercourse.  If we were able to tighten the vagina with a laser the result would be similar.  Many techniques toughted to tighten the vagina are simply caustic agents that irritate and inflame the vagina which leads to dryness that can feel like tightening but a dry vagina is not a good thing.  I recommend staying away from these technologies.  I perform vaginoplasty in my practice by directly addressing the problem-soft tissue atrophy.  I use a special technique of fat grafting to pad, soften and tighten the vaginal walls.  I also use this technique to lower the g-spot so it is more engaged in penetrative intercourse dramatically increasing pleasure and orgasmic potential.  Patients report much more pleasurable sex for both partners, increased intensity and frequency of orgasms and improved lubrication.  The procedure is commonly combined with a MACIE-labiaplasty.  Stay away from lasers and incisions in your vagina!  I hope this helps!

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Vaginal Treatments

Vaginal treatments are like hair treatments, DIFFERENT!

You can get your hair styled, washed, cut, permed, colored, extended, infused, softened,  sometimes with adding a product, sometimes with a mechanical device; it may last a day, or until your hair grows out. 

In the same way the vaginal tissue may be treated with surgery, lasers, topical agents (such as estrogen, lubricants), RF, dilators and intercourse (yes, really).    Some are long-lived, some are temporary; these treatments target different symptoms and tissues.

Vaginal Rejuvination is not a medical term, it is a marketing term; it is a way to talk about the vagina on social media and in the press, because "explicit"  medical terminology is not always allowed.

My simple analogy:  The vagina is basically a sock made out of muscles with a mucosal lining. If you are trying to repair an overstretched,  saggy, baggy "sock" you would need surgery.  If the sock is still the right size and location, but it is very fragile and tears easily you would want to us either topical estrogen or laser treatments. 

So before anyone can give you an answer as to which is best for you, they would need to know exactly what symptoms are being targeted.  Stretched out and baggy, or fragile, dry and delicate, or a mixture of them all!

Keep in mind, the opinion of the person recommending treatments will usually be the treatment they are personally offering, which is TRUE for me, same as everyone else.  Your physician is someone you trust, I would start there.  I chose to offer MonaLisa Touch above all of the others after researching all options because 1. it is FDA approved for use in vaginal tissue, 2 it has been extensively studied and has data to back its use. 3. the developers of the technology remain committed to improving the procedure, outcomes and patient satisfaction.

Show me the data!  (That is what I would say before getting any treatment.)   

Claire Coco, MD
San Antonio Family Physician

Vaginal health lasers

The Mona Lisa Touch  , aCO2 laser and Intimilase and Incontilase by Fotona  An Erbium Yag laser are great devices used to treat vaginal atrophy of the menopause and  vaginal relaxation syndrome. Incontilase By Fotona treats mild to moderate urinary stress incontinence as well.The radiofrequency devises are less powerful than the laser devices.

We have been using the  Incontilase and Intimilase  for over a year now and our patients are extremely satisfied with the results for incontinence,atrphy and tightening!.

Cynthia Stolovitz, MD
Montreal Physician

Diva for vaginal rejuvenation

The diVa laser is an erbium laser used for vaginal tightening, improved moisture, and relief of urinary incontinence. It requires 3 treatments, done one month apart, and then touched up once a year thereafter. \

Patients report improved sexual function, less irritation/dryness, and improved leaking (especially after childbirth). What I love about this laser is that it does not require an in and out motion during the treatment like the others (I wouldn't feel comfortable, even as a woman, with the "manipulation" required by the other treatments out there). The treatment takes 3 minutes and is very well tolerated with just numbing cream.

All in all, an awesome thing to do for yourself.

Hope that helps!
Sheila Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Laser Vaginal Tightening

If your primary goal is vaginal tightening then I would recommend the IntimaLase procedure. Clinical results show an average shrinkage of 17% in the vaginal canal after a single IntimaLase treatment. In 95% of cases patients report a noticeable difference, and most women who had the procedure done said that they felt more intense sensations and deeper orgasms. I've even had some patients tell me that their partners were shocked at the difference even after the first treatment. This procedure is quick with no pain and no downtime. Hope this helps.

Shelena Lalji, MD
Sugar Land OB/GYN

Vaginal Tightening Treatments

There are many options for this. What is important is whether or not you are seeking external vagina, internal vagina or mons pubis (area above the vagina). they are all treated differently.  Some treatments are "lasers" and some are radiofrequency.  I suggest seeing someone who has experience and can give you their input.  I typically use radiofrequency externally or fat transfer and then if needed internally lasers or radiofrequency depending on the condition.  A formal consultation is needed.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Laser or RF vaginal tightening. FemiLift, Mona Lisa Touch, ThermiVa for vaginal tightening

Hello!

I have previously answered this questions a few times- check the key words...  Briefly, all of the systems you mention give similar results and cost ~ the same.  They all use either light wave energy (Laser- FemiLift, IntimaLase, Mona Lisa) or sound wave energy (RF- ThermiVa) to modestly "snug" the vagina at one power setting, or to "loosen and rejuvenate" a tight, atrophic vagina at another power setting. **PLEASE CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW FOR FULL DETAILS on FemiLift (the sysrtem I have in my office); the same info really applies to all of the Laser systems.

Here is the important thing!! DO NOT go to a doc for vaginal tightening who ONLY offers Laser/RF as the only method they have; make sure the surgeon you see is also savvy and skilled at SURGICAL vaginal tightening, and is prepared to work with you with pelvic floor P.T. (physical therapy). While Laser or RF tightening is perfect for some, it is woefully inadequate for those patients who have significant laxity, and it does nothing to alter the physical appearance of the opening.  If a doc only offers Laser/RF as their only vaginal tightening procedure, it means they are not trained to surgically deal with the area, and may offer you an inadequate procedure.  Additionally, whichever you choose, the ultimate long-term success hinges as well on the P.T. work that you yourself do.

Good Luck!

Michael P Goodman MD