Does it make a difference if one large applicator is used rather then 2 smaller angled applicators? (photo)

I talked to 2 different Coolsculpt offices and got different evaluations from both. One thought that I needed 4 smaller applicators angled around my belly button while the other said I should have 2 large applicator horizontally over my abs. Would both techniques give the same results?

Big or small applicator

Each person is different. It depends on how the fat pulls when it is pinched. also depends on volume of fat. I have found that if there is a small amount of fat around the belly button, the small applicators are better.

Coolsculpting and Applicator Selections

Coolsculpting is a fabulous way to address the bulge in a given area and treat it non-surgically.  The choice of applicators depends on how the fat is distributed in the abdominal area.  The idea applicators can easily be chosen in person during the consultation only.  For the best results please consult a board certified dermatologist with expertise in Coolsculpting.  Best, Dr. Green

CoolSculpting Applicator Selection

Hi, there! Thank you for your question and photo.  To properly select an appropriate CoolSculpting applicator(s) for optimal results, it is important that your CoolSculpting provider comprehensively assesses your natural contours and fat distribution, taking note of any asymmetry that may be present.  The ideal applicator placement is observed when the peak of the bulge being addressed is centered and the applicator is aligned with the natural orientation of the bulge.  While optimal results may be accomplished using more than one technique, it is imperative that your CoolSculpting provider thoroughly reviews with you the rationale for the selected treatment plan to ensure it is consistent with your goals for the procedure.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative body procedures.

Dr. Schwartz

Coolsculpting and Applicatiors

There are many different techniques for coolsculpting applicators. In my opinion to get true contouring results you will need more than the number of applicators requested.  you likely will need at least 2 rounds of each of the proposed plans.  I find that liposuction gives better etching/defining results especially if you are going to do 4-8 applicators.  Best, Dr. Emer 

Yes, It Does Make A Difference

CoolSculpting treatments must be customized for each person. There is no "cookie-cutter" approach. Your treatment provider should have enough experience that he/she can evaluate your fat distribution and determine which applicators would give you the absolute best result. Make sure you view before and after pictures of their actual patients to see what kind of results the practice is getting. Best wishes.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

CoolSculpting

Based on my experience, the larger applicators would work better in most cases.  The increased surface area allows more fat to be introduced into the applicator and there would be fewer transition zones between applicators.

John Burns, MD