Diabetes and Brazilian butt lift. Is there a doctor that has had a successful outcome with type 1 diabetes and a BBL?

My A1C is currently at a 6.6%. But I was I was informed by a plastic surgeon that I needed to be at a 6.3% or lower. Is 3% that much of a difference that my procedure had to be canceled?

BBL and diabetes

Hi Jen,

Thanks for your question. Diabetes is not a contraindication to surgery. It just means that your sugars are running higher than what your doctor would like. Every surgeon is different in terms of their experience and expectations. My personal cut off is 6.5% which means that 6.5% of your red bloods cells have sugars attached too them and don't function as normal thus slowing your healing down. It does increase your chances of infection. I would have a discussion with your surgeon and ask why exactly the .3% makes a difference to him or her. I recommend being seen by a board certified plastic surgeon or two and getting other options but again every doctor will be different. Pick one that you feel safe with! Good Luck.

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS

Diabetes and Surgery

Jen,

Hi and good afternoon.  One of the main risks in BBL is infection from the fat that is grafted.  Diabetes increases your risk for infection.  A Hgb A1C of 6.6 roughly means that your sugars are consistently elevated in the 140s over the past 3 months.  
A BBL is a great operation and is relatively safe; but infection is still a worry and can become a major complication.  And safety is always and should always be the most important issue.  
In my opinion, I would require a Hgb A1C of 6.0 because this means that over 3 months your sugars have been consistently in the 120s and that significantly lowers your risk of infection (but keep in my mind your risk of infection is still higher than an individual without diabetes).  In addition, I would be significantly more aggressive in my antibacterial protocol and followup.  
I would also postpone your surgery until your Hgb A1C is in a safe range and for me that would be 6.0 or lower.  A Hgb A1C of 6.3 is too high for me when I am injecting fat; if this was a different procedure I would be OK with a Hgb A1C of 6.5 or lower.  

Diabetes and Elective surgery

The main thing to consider when you are having elective surgery is that you are as healthy as possible.  Diabetes is not a contraindication to surgery, but you want to make sure that it is under control.  If you do not have it under control it can slow healing and lead to other post-op complications.  Good luck with your decision.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

BBL and Diabetes

In general, Diabetes is associated with an increase in surgical complications, such as infection and wound healing issues. However, controlled Diabetes, particularly in the arena of cosmetic liposuction and fat transfer, is not significantly likely to be associated with an increase in risks or complications. My personal cut off for A1C levels is 8. Even more important to me is that the glucose control is relatively tight without wide swings of blood glucose levels. Your internist should be able to guide you in this and make specific recommendations to your surgeon.  Best of Luck    Dr Harrell

BBL and diabetic

As long as your sugars are well controlled, your surgery will be safe, BBL and most surgeries. Diabetes tends to affect healing of surgical lines and so BBL has very minimal incisions. your sugars need to be controlled meticulously through the peri-operative period. Remember that HgA1C is a chronic measure of your sugars and is likely not to change for some time and does not reflect your acute sugar control.

Arian Mowlavi, MD