How can I decide between chin liposuction and Kybella? (Photo)

I'm a 30 year old white male, trying to decide between chin liposuction and Kybella. I'm in good shape, not overweight, but have stubborn chin fat that is unresponsive to diet and exercise. The chin fat is concentrated mostly in the center, though I do think it would be best to have some lateral treatment to improve my jawline. I want the best long term results, and it's unclear to me which way to go. I'm not sticking my chin out in the photos, so you can see the muscle/fat in all its glory

Kybella vs. submental liposuction

For uncomplicated liposuction under the chin (submental  suction lipectomy), we charge $1500. This includes the preoperative appointment, procedure, and all postoperative followups. We have laughing gas available at no additional charge.  The procedure requires a single 4 mm (less than 1/4") incision and takes about 45" to an hour.  You will have to wear a compression garment 24/7 (minus showers) for 2 weeks and 16/7 for an additional 2 weeks. Please read the realself reviews of our practice, as many of our patients have posted pre- and postoperative photos of liposuction under the chin.

Kybella is a very reasonable alternative for those patients who do not wish to undergo liposuction.  However, it requires more treatments, more downtime, and greater expense.  Kybella typically requires 2 to 4 treatments, each with at least 2 weeks of associated social downtime due to bruising, swelling, and redness and typically runs $2000 to $4800.

Plano Plastic Surgeon

Kybella

Kybella is a non-surgical option for your neck. It is an injection that has been recently approved by the FDA to help improve the appearance of fullness associated with the submental (neck) fat in adults.

During a Kybella treatment, the neck is first cleaned and numbed with topical lidocaine. A pattern is drawn on the neck and the product is injected into the fat pad - dissolving the fat. The body then absorbs the fat over several weeks.

There is swelling, bruising, and some numbness in the area during this time. The injections are usually done once a month and it usually takes 2 to 4 treatments to reach full effect depending on the severity of the fat.

Ideal patients, like you, are young males with fullness of their anterior neck and good quality skin. See the link below.

A detailed examination will help delineate the best option. Consultation with a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be the next best step.

Kybella vs. Chin Liposuction

Kybella provides a much greater convenience at a lower cost that Chin Liposuction. In addition to the convenience and cost comes your personal preference for a liposuction procedure versus Kybella as injectables into the fat under the skin.

Your health profile will certainly be a factor in this decision as well. I suggest you consult a board certified facial plastic surgeon to receive the highest quality knowledge, treatment, care and skill available. A consultation provides you the opportunity to relay your concerns and desired outcome to the surgeon while the surgeon can assess your health profile and discuss his/her pertinent advice.  

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Double chin options

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photos. There are several options for contouring the neck.

Non surgical options include:
1) Kybella to dissolve the fatty tissue in the submental area
2) Cool-mini treatment from Coolsculpting to target the same area
3) Adding a skin tightening device such as Ulthera or Profound to the neck tissue in conjunction with the one of the above to further tighten the skin.

Surgical options include:
1) Straight liposuction which would reduce the pinchable fat under the chin
2) Anterior neck lift with liposuction which would also allow for tightening of the platysmal muscles in the midline to allow for tighter neck contour
3) Traditional neck lift which does the same as 2) but also removes some excess skin in the neck.
Based on the photos, you would see a great result with the non-surgical options but would likely need more than one treatment.  Surgery would one procedure, and you would see even more of a result than the non-surgical options. 

I would recommend that you visit with a board certified plastic surgeon who offers the various options above to discuss the pros/cons of each option and help you decide which is the best for you.

How can I decide between chin liposuction and Kybella?

Both are good procedures for the neck. Kybella is new and is not intended for the fat under the platysma muscle and for the sides of the neck or jawline. Liposuction or SmartLipo PrecisionTX of the submental (chin) and jawline allow better contour of the jawline region in one procedure. Ultimately is patient choice. One is non-surgical and the other one is minimally invasive.

Hope this helsp,
Dr. Gus Diaz

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin liposuction versus Kybella

There are 2 compartments of fat in the neck located above and below the platysma muscle. Liposuction can remove the fatty deposits above the platysma muscle, however surgical removal is required for the fatty deposits underneath the platysma muscle. If the subplatysmal fat is removed to rejuvenate the neck, a platysma plasty is performed which also  improves the jawline. Kybella  requires multiple treatments, and is not FDA approved for subplatysmal fat removal.  For many examples of liposuction,  please see the link and video below

Chin and Neck Liposuction Versus Kybella

I always suggest liposuction over kybella especially in younger guys.  it is almost impossible to get the contour and tightening that you can get with liposuction. kybella is great for localized areas of fat, but the contour results are minimal compared to vaser hi def on the neck in a young healthy guy.  I often combine this with some fillers or fat transfer to define the jaw and you can get a pretty amazing very long term results with minimal downtime.  I have my patients wear a neck wrap for 3 days and they are back to work.  Please consult with an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Liposuction vs Kybella beneath the Chin

Kybella is relatively new and although it definitely works usually requires 2 up to several treatments with expenses adding up to equal or surpass the cost of liposuction. I've also heard of patients having prolonged numbness after treatment and there is a small risk of motor nerve injury. At this stage I feel you're probably best off undergoing liposuction which can readily be performed under local or with light sedation. IF you choose Kybella I'd advise waiting a little while until more experience has accumulated in the medical community.

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Chin lipo

I have done chin lipo with amazing results.  One time treatment takes 20 minutes with my micro liposculpture technique from Brazil.  Recovery minimal.  The other treatment inconsistent results.  Painful.  Expensive.  Multiple treatments.  many injections.  Waste of time.  Hands down Microliposculpture the way I have done over 14 years.  

Afshin Farzadmehr, MD

Lipo vs Kybella

Thank you for your question. Your a good candidate for both liposuction or Kybella. Liposuction involves surgery vs Kybella that is a non surgical option. Kybella you would require at least two injunctions and treatments are separated approximately 7 weeks. Hopefully you find this information useful.   

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA