Dark spots and darkness around mouth and nose. What is the safe, effective way to fade these areas? (Photo)

What is the safe effective way to fade these dark areas? It makes me look like I am 30 years old. HELP.

Hyperpigmented areas

Thank you for the photos. Hyperpigmented areas of the face are more challenging to treat in patients who tend to have darker complexions and more natural pigment at baseline. Energy-based treatments such as laser and intense-pulsed light may make skin darker or too light compared to surrounding skin. A more gentle option is to use topical "bleaching" creams such as hydroquinone, however care must be given to apply the cream only to areas that are darker so avoid lightening normal skin. If these areas changed only recently, they may also improve over time naturally if kept out of the sun and protected. It is important to wear sunblock and to protect the areas when outside. For the best treatment options, it is important to visit an expert for an in-person examination. Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee MD
Plastic Surgery

Beverly Hills Physician