What's the danger in having laser hair treatment or electrolysis while on Accutane? What's the danger?

Wound healing is altered when you are on Isotretinoin (Accutane)

When taking Isotretinoin (Accutane), your skin is much more sensitive than normal and wound healing is impeded, meaning you tend to heal more slowly and have a greater risk for healing abnormally with hypertrophic scars. Because of this concern, there has been a longstanding recommendation against doing any sort of procedure that can cause trauma to the skin (lasers, chemical peels, microneedling, waxing, electrolysis, etc) while on Isotretinoin and for 6 months after discontinuing the medication.

While waiting 6 months after finishing Isotretinoin is definitely the safest approach, there have been a few small studies published suggesting laser hair removal is safe during Isotretinoin use. In my practice, I still recommend to wait till after Isotretinoin treatment for hair removal. However, if a patient understands the potential risks and still wants to do laser hair removal while on Isotretinoin, I am OK with it as long as they don't have any adverse reaction with a test spot.

I hope this answer is helpful! Best of luck. 

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon