Daily headaches following Botox 4 months later. I feel the pain in my forehead and when they are occurring it's tender to touch.

Was thinking that my headaches were due to moving to LA and experiencing poor air quality but they are so odd like no other headache I've had before and concentrated in my forehead.. The other day I linked the 2 and I'm thinking Botox has to be the culprit.. Had it done by a reputable plastic surgeon the day before I moved to LA back in September.. Is it likely they will stop anytime soon or has the damage been done? I used to very rarely if ever have headaches..

Headache after Botox

Thank you for your question hairlossguru. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. A rare side effect is headaches, which can be address with medications such as Tylenol. Headaches are usually transient and last 1-2 weeks. The full effects of Botox (including side effects) last 3-4 months. If a patient of mine has headaches for longer than that after a Botox treatment I would say that it is not likely associated with Botox and recommend speaking with a neurologist. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Botox Headaches

Hello HLG.  One of the short term side effects of Botox (within the first day or two) can be headaches, but after the first couple days, Botox actually improves the incidence and severity of headaches.  In any event, Botox wears of after 4 months, so the two should not be related.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Botox and headaches

Thank you for your question and I'm sorry that you are not having the desired outcome after Botox.  It is odd for Botox to cause headaches this far out.  I would imagine that the Botox may have helped soften certain regions of the muscle, and that other regions of the targeted muscle can still 'flex' around the sensory nerves.  A detailed exam and history may be able to help ascertain what is going on.  I would recommend that you visit with an experience plastic surgeon in LA to help guide you through this.