Does cutting and shaping butt implants before inserting them ruin their durability and go against the products recommended use?

I read about surgeons sometimes cutting butt implants before inserting them to get the correct fit. Does this decrease the durability of the implant? Is there not enough sizes available? It seems odd as I couldn't imagine a surgeon trimming a breast implant before inserting it.

Buttock Implants

Buttock implants are made of soft solid silicone. They are designed to be cut if necessary to it into the pocket. It is perfectly appropriate of a surgeon makes that judgment to do so.

Hello Mission661,Thanks for your question.  Butt implants are solid silicone blocks in pre-determined shapes and sizes.  For customization, they are designed to be shaved if necessary.  This really does not ruin them.  Breast implants are not solid so making any cuts in them would cause the silicone or saline fill to leak out.I hope this helps.Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Butt implants

Dear Mission661,   I have performed butt implants surgery on well over 500 patients and never had to trim the implants. Cutting the implants, definitely changes the strength of the structure, making it easier to fall apart due to the intense activity that put a  strain on the implants. There are enough implants sizes to suit any butt size and desire. In my practice I use implants from 290 cc all the way to 660 cc . Bigger implants can be made as special order.  I use  ultra soft, oval round silicone implants, which anatomically are the most natural and I place them sub fascia, which allows for big size implants.   You have to realize that not all results are the same because there are different techniques and different implants. Additionally, experience, skills and aesthetic eye are critical for good and safe outcome. So do your due diligence carefully and choose wisely.  Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who do lots of butt implants surgery in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive with nice 'S' curve (shelf) , nice  round hips and natural look.                    Best of luck,                                       Dr Widder

Can you cut a buttocks implant?

Buttocks implants in the U.S. are solid silicone implants and can be cut and trimmed to shape.

Breast implants are different, they have a shell around a cohesive gel, making it so you can not trim them.