Crooked, droopy, over-projecting & bulbous tip. 2 mths post septo-rhinoplasty, female. Will I need a revision surgery? (photo)

I had my first closed septo-rhinoplasty 2 months ago. My breathing improved, but I am very unhappy with the result. My tip is bulbous and droopy as it was before surgery.(tho he cut the septi muscle)My bridge is wide and looks crooked to me,which I didn't have before.(He removed the hump) My doctor said he can't see any problem and it's just swollen and didn't even listen to me.I think he didn't do much work on the tip.Will I need a revision? Should I get an open rhinoplasty for a better result?

Dear leila.1992, You will still have post operative swelling for the coming months and will need to wait to determine the need of revision surgery for one year. I do see your concerns with your results and if you feel your surgeon is being dismissive then you may want to have a secondary opinion to help give you some peace of mind while you recover. If you seek secondary opinion then it would be best to ask your current surgeon for a copy of your operative note so that the consulting surgeon can determine what techniques were used during your procedure. I do think if you have a revision surgery an open approach would be the best. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Open vs Closed Rhinoplasty

Best to wait at least 6 to 8 months before considering the need for revision rhinoplasty. I am hoping that things will improve for you over time, but if not, an open approach revision rhinoplasty may be the best option for your second surgery. Open rhinoplasty allows complete visual evaluation and open access to all your nasal structures and soft tissue. For me, it is my preferred approach to revision case which may require complex techniques and/or cartilage grafts to reconstruct nasal tips. Hope this answer helps. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will you need revision surgery

You are still a bit early to determine if you will need a revision. I would recommend waiting another few months to see as the swelling decreases in the tip. There will continue to be some changes until the one year mark but six months is usually reasonable to assess if further surgery will be needed. At that point, I would recommend visiting with a few revision rhinoplasty surgeons to see what they say after an in person consultation. 
Best of luck

David Reinstadler, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty at 1 year

A revision rhinoplasty should not be contemplated for at least 1 year, especially in the tip of the nose.  It is important that all of the phases of healing of been completed at 1 year before electing to undergo an additional rhinoplasty procedure.  Best to check in with your  operative surgeon and follow up with cortisone shots and taping to help reduce the swelling in the tip of the nose.    For many before and after results, please see the link and  the video below

Revision Rhinoplasty

You are still early in your recovery period and the nose is expected to be quite swollen at this point.  The majority of the swelling will resolve in 3-6 months, and will continue to resolve as your nose heals for up to 1-2 years.   Revision surgery generally is more complex and challenging than primary surgery, and thus is typically costlier.  In some cases, depending on the area being addressed, revision surgery may be considered as early as 6 months post-op, but in general waiting a full year is prudent.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD