Which do you use to correct a downward turn to the corners of the mouth, Botox or Juvederm? (Photo)

In the photo you will see that my mouth has a downward turn which makes me looks upset when I am not. I'm trying to determine if it's Botox I need or Juvederm to put the corners in a straighter or ever upward position like shown in the photo on the right. Any answers would be greatly appreciated!

Both

Both Juvederm in the marionette lines and the corners of the mouth and Botox in the DAO muscle can help improve the downward turn of the mouth.  Some patients will do one or the other, but most will consider both.

Botox and Juvederm for mouth related cosmetic issues

I like using Botox to treat the DAO muscles, which improves the position of the oral commisure. Dermal fillers like Juvederm can be used to further support this structure and augment the lip for a more youthful lip appearance.

Downturn mouth corners

Thank you for the question and the photos. First option to try for this is botox or xeomin to the DAO muscle. The Depressor Anguli Oris muscle is responsible for the downward pull on the corner of the lip. if you weaken this muscle with botox, the upward pull of the opposing muscles will help create a upturn to the lip corner. It may be subtle, but it does work. 

Most patients will see a result that lasts up to 3 months. After that, the botox or xeomin will need to be repeated. 

Fillers can be helpful as well, but botox / xeomin are always my first option. 

Best to you

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Which do you use to correct a downward turn to the corners of the mouth, Botox or Juvederm?

Hello, and thanks for your question and photo. I use generally use Botox and/or filler to help turn the corners of the mouth up. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with an expert. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.    

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Turning up the corners of your mouth.

My first choice is often botox to the DAO muscles but in your case I think fillers may give you more benefit.  A combination of both tx will give you the benefits of both.  Once you've tried each you can determine with your doctor if one or the other was more beneficial for future use.  Filler lasts longer than botox, a consideration for many.  Regards,

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Fillers

Fillers are the product of choice in order to address this area of concern.  There are many products on the market such as Juvederm or Restylane that can be injected to bring improvement to the area.  Seek an experienced injector in your area for a consultation and treatment.

Camille Cash, MD

Corners of the Mouth and Treatment

The best combination would be fillers in the corners of the mouth and Botox injected into the DAO's.  Please consult a specialist.  Best, Dr. Green

Juvederm to turn up the corners of the mouth

Thank you for your question and for attaching a picture. My suggestion would be to find an experienced injector in your area for a consultation. Looking at your photo, an experienced injector should be able to use Juvederm or Restylane to turn up the corners of the mouth giving you a softer, happier appearance. Good luck.

Improve "frownies" with filler and Botox

The best way to improve this problem is using both the fillers and Botox in the DAO muscle. A more substantial filler like Restylane or Lyft is a better choice than Juvederm. The DAO muscle pulls the corners of the lips down and by relaxing it, the corners turn up.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Downing corners of the mouth - how to treat?

Botox and Juvederm each have their place in temporarily correcting the corners of the mouth.

For a more permanent solution, many patients opt for the DAO release, a facelift with superior vectors at the corner of the mouth, autologous tissue augmentation for the mouth corners, and corner lip lifts.

Brent Moelleken, MD