Should I get Coolsculpting or SculpSure after a Smart Lipo to get rid of the fats that have been left of?

I had Smart Liposuction with abdominal etching 6 weeks ago. I've read in here that the hardness that I feel on my lower abdomen is normal and can take up to 4-6 months before it disappears. Does that mean it is still swollen in the inside and that my stomach will still grow smaller as the hardness disappears or is my current figure already the end result and I am just waiting on the hardness to go away? It bothers me that my lower abdomen has a bump because of the fats left making my abs uneven.

Coolsculpting after your lipo

If you are only 6 weeks out from your procedure I would not recommend anything at this juncture, especially if you had etching. There will be changes that occur over the next months. Coolsculpting or Sculpsure performed too earl after this procedure could lead to problems. After 4-6 months, if there is some asymmetry or a bulge you could consider. But likely this is swelling.

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Uneven after lipo

Dear Medyo:

I have seen a significant number of cases with an uneven layer of fat after liposuction that responds well to CoolSculpting.  However, in your case it sounds as though you still have inflammation and possibly a pocket of fluid (seroma).  I would wait for that to remove before having any more treatments.  If you are interested, see some of my other answers in terms of #Coosculpting vs #SculpSure.

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Should I get Coolsculpting or SculpSure after a Smart Lipo

Both are very good choices for post-lipo touch-up. However, if you are only 6 weeks out, you are still very much in the healing phase, and what you are experiencing is completely normal for this stage. I would wait a minimum of 4-6 months before considering further treatment to see where your results truly end. As to the choice, I have both devices in my practice, and we much prefer SculpSure because it can be done in less than half the time, can treat multiple areas at once, has no suction so it avoids the side effects of pain, swelling, bruising, numbness or nodularity, and because it is laser energy has the added benefit of stimulating collagen to promote skin tightening for smoother, more supple skin.

Craig Schwartz, DO
Leawood Vascular Surgeon

Residual fat following SmartLipo, CoolSculpting, SculpSure

Dear Medyo:

Following any injury to the fat, skin or other tissues whether by CoolSculpting, SculpSure, SmartLipo or surgery, the normal healing events cause collagen or scar production between 2 and 12 weeks. Thereafter, the collagen remodels to a softer scar. 

Best to wait 6 months and longer to see the near final results before jumping to another procedure. 

Seek the advice of a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to see what is best for YOU! All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

CoolSculpting or SculpSure After Lipo

Both CoolSculpting and SculpSure are excellent choices for "fine tuning" the results of SmartLipo, or other lipo procedure.  That being said it can take several months to see the final results of your SmartLipo, and the "hardness" you are experiencing at 6 weeks is very normal. I would wait at least 6mo before considering additional treatments.  Good Luck!

CoolSculpting or Sculpsure After Smart Lipo?

It's not unusual to still have swelling 6 weeks after your SmartLipo procedure. It may take up to 6 months for everything to settle down. I wouldn't do any additional procedures until then. 

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

CoolSculpting, SculpSure and HI DEF 4D CONTOURING

Both nonsurgical like CoolSculpting, VelaShape, UltraShape and surgical methods like VASER Hi Def could contour your shape further. I tend to use combinations of nonsurgical methods to get the best results such as Vanquish and Cellutone.Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Improving results after Smart Lipo

Coolsculpting requires a pinchable fat pocket which you might not have. Sculpsure lays on the area to be treated. What might be your best option though is Vanquish, which can do a generalized fat reduction in a large area. This can smooth out imperfections better than the other devices which might remove too much in a single area. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Additional Treatments for residual fat post Smart Lipo?

Hello Medyo,

Thank you for your question. It is still too early to tell whether any additional treatments are "needed". It is always prudent to wait until you have completely healed from one procedure before addressing whether something else needs to be done which in your case could include CoolSculpting or SculpSure. Best wishes. 

Paul Pietro, MD
Greenville Physician

It would be very important to recover from your other procedure before being treated but you may benefit from treatment with the flap CoolSculpting applicator.