Can CoolSculpting effectively trim down my hips? (photos)

I have this bizarre fat deposit on each hip. Take a look at the photo. I want to get CoolSculpting to get rid of it, but I'm hesitant to drop thousands of dollars unless it's effective and safe. You can even see the fat deposits with clothing on, even if I wear SPANX.

CoolSculpting to Trim Down Hips

Hi Meggles. It looks like you have an asymmetric bulging of your love handles with the left side greater than the right. For these areas to be treatable with CoolSculpting the fat needs to be pinchable. Looking at your pictures alone, you will definitely require multiple treatments to achieve your desired results. With each CoolSculpting treatment you can expect about a 20% reduction of fat in the area. If you are determined to be a suitable candidate for the treatment and want to go forward, rest assured as the treatment is completely safe. Make sure you schedule a consultation with an experienced CoolSculpting physician who can give you an accurate assessment. To view before and after pictures of our CoolSculpting patients you can click the link below. Hope this helps!

Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Can CoolSculpting trim hips?

Based on your photo, I believe the area of concern for you is actually not your hips but on each side of your abdomen (also known as love handles).  This area is just above the hips.  Love handles are a common area treated with CoolSculpting and the procedure can be effective and safe.  You would need to be examined to determine if you might be a good candidate for CoolSculpting and it is possible that more than one treatment would give you the best result.    

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting Safe and Effective for the Midsection

CoolSculpting has consistently proved to be very effective for small deposits of stubborn, unwanted fat around the midsection. Based on what you're describing and from the photo you've shared, you will likely require more than one session to achieve the results you're looking for. Your best option would be to speak to a board certified plastic surgeon who can advise you on the differences between CoolSculpting and liposuction to find out more about which option could best achieve the outcome you want.

Coolsculpting and Hips

Coolsculpting is a fabulous procedure for reducing a bulge on the body, especially on the love handles.  From your photo it loos like you would be a great candidate for the procedure.  Since each procedure typically reduces the treated area by 20% it will take two treatments to get the best result in that area.  You should continue to diet and exercise as this will only improve your results.

Hip fat - a cosmetic issue or something else?

Sometimes unusual fat deposits in the midsection are a symptom of other issues beyond just "fat". Before you head off someplace for fat freezing or other targeted fat reduction, why not see your regular doctor or an endocrinologist to rule out a hormonal cause?

Also, if you have taken corticosteroids this can lead to a change in body fat accumulation.

Once you've cleared the possibility of a hormonal involvement, then CoolSculpting could help, but you would likely be looking at a multiple sessions as opposed to just a single session for the areas you would need to treat.

Rebecca Fitzgerald, MD

Coolsculpting Assesment

A Coolsculpting treatment uses a method called cryolipolysis (fat freezing) once the fat is frozen it goes through apoptosis (programmed cell death). This usually occurs a few days after your procedure and is aided by the immediate post treatment massage.

After fat cells die, your body naturally consumes the affected cells. The process of elimination of the affected cells from your body generally takes about 3-4 months to complete. Immediately after treatment you can be swollen for up to 2 weeks and many patients start seeing the initial improvement starting 3 weeks after their treatment.

A Coolsculpting treatment destructs about 20% of the fat in the treated area; sometimes multiple treatments in the same area are necessary for the best results. I would recommend that you treat your abdomen and love handles (right above the hips) to see the most improvement.

It is best to consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist to see if this is the appropriate treatment for you and how many sessions/areas you may need to have treated for best results.

For more information on coolsculpting click on link below:

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculpting

In general, coolsculpting is good for pinchable fat.  It is FDA approved for the abdomen, flanks, inner thighs and outer thighs.  It is best to see a board certified plastic surgeon to weigh your other surgical options and general health.  Good luck.

Treatment for muffin top

Both Coolsculpting and liposuction are effective in this area.  Liposuction will usually be more noticeable, but Coolsculpting can also help (especially with more than one session). Consult with someone who offers both and you will get the best answers. Below is a liposuction example in the area you are concerned about. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting for hips (flank / love handles / muffin tops)

Dear meggles85:

CoolSculpting is a tried and true method to remove small bulges of fat non-surgically. If you use CoolSculpting to the max, you may achieve a small liposuction like result called "Treat to Transformation."  This technique takes many sessions and many hours of your time if you are not a surgical candidate due to illness or no desire for surgery for example. 

You may consider surgical liposuction which does have OTHER side-effects, risks and complications which are diminished by consulting a well experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon but provides many advantages too.

Thank you for sharing your photo. Your area of fat includes the lower tummy, love handles (muffin tops) but not your hips. These are under the side bulges. You should consider:
  1. surgical liposuction to achieve a smoother, larger area contour if medically cleared for surgery by your primary care physician.
  2. lifestyle changes including diet and exercise to manage and optimize the results of CoolSculpting or Surgical Liposuction. 
I hope this has been helpful. I wish you the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

For CoolSculpting to be effective, be sure to see a doctor who is familiar with treating abdominal fat

CoolSculpting is definitely an effective tool, but make sure you are examined by a doctor who has extensive experience treating abdominal fat.  Looking at your photo, a lot of your hip fat may actually be intra-abdominal fat, in which case your result from CoolSculpting would probably be disappointing, and weight loss would be the only route.  If all the fat is outside of the abdomen, but there is a lot of loose skin, an abdominoplasty might be a better option.  You can review more CoolSculpting information and representative photos with the link below.

Mario Loomis, MD
Middletown Plastic Surgeon