Would it be better to get Coolsculpting after a few weeks of extra dieting and exercising?

It's my understanding that coolsculpting freezes and kills a portion of the fat cells that are treated. I also understand that burning fat would cause my fat cells to deflate (presumably reducing their mass) and allow the coolsculpting applicator to cover more fat cells and thus kill more fat cells. Also, even if this fat reduction was done very successfully, how much of a difference would it actually make?

CoolSculpting and exercise

CoolSculpting reliably eliminates fat cells permanently. It is not necessary to begin an exercise or diet program to achieve results with CoolSculpting. Of course diet and exercise will augment your response, but the treatment will remove 25% or fat cells on its own. Ideally you shouldn't gain weight after the procedure to maintain your results. Of course it still possible to gain weight in other areas of the body, so diet and exercise are always a good idea.

Coolsculpting

I appreciate your question.
Coolsculpting is great for areas that can fit into the applicator
I always recommend diet and exercise and then see if you need coolsculpting or not

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Diet and exercise before and after CoolSculpting

Dear zjf:

CoolSculpting (CS) is tried and true. It is limited in that each session will reduce only up to 20% per properly fitted applicator. Serial CS can provide a "Treatment to Transformation" with limited to moderate lipocontouring results but with no surgery. 

If you cannot adequately pinch the skin for the applicator to properly suck in the fat bulge for "freezing" then you will not receive a adequate treatment. For this, I would recommend losing weight so the skin bulge can fit properly.

Many patients are well motivate to lose weight following CoolSculpting. It is essential to do so. While the fat will not re-accumulate in the lost fat cells, there is still "80% of fat cells left behind and many other areas for these calories to distribute too. 

CoolSculpting without a lifestyle change to further fat loss will provide body contour changes but no weight loss. 

Consult with a Certified CoolSculpting Team to get your best results!

I wish you much success with your endeavors!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

CoolSculpting

I have not seen any research indicating that pre-heating up the fat cells with radiofrequency or ultrasound devices can actually allow for greater fat killing with CoolSculpt. The CoolSculpt effectively kills 20-25% fat cells in the areas treated, without the aid of any other devices, pretreatments, or diet and excercise.

Ava Shamban, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Fat Cells and Coolsculpting

If you have fat it will respond to the coolsculpting despite diet and exercise.  If you diet and exercise post you will get even better results! Best, Dr. Emer.

Thank you for the question. It is always best to be enrolled in a great fitness program and eat healthy. If that fails Coolsculpting, liposuction, or body contouring may be considered. Coolsculpting is a great treatment to help rid of the stubborn fat. To obtain the best results you may require two treatments per area. It is best to continue your good habits of fitness and eating healthy post treatment for optimal results. Good luck

CoolSculpting With Diet & Exercise

Hi Zjf. You are right that CoolSculpting targets and kills a portion of the fat cells that are treated. On average, ideal candidates can experience a 20-25% reduction in the amount of fat in the treated area. In our experience, our patients that have maintained healthy diets and exercise can experience even more than a 25% reduction. Hope this helps.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Coolsculpting and Diet and Exercise

Coolsculpting is an amazing procedure and is most successful when combines with a healthy diet and exercise.  It is not necessary to diet before having the procedure. I highly recommend my patients to consult a nutritionist and exercise in addition to doing coolsculpting for the best cosmetic results. Coolsculpting will remove the bulge in a given area by 20 to 25%.  Combining exercise with good nutrition and coolsculpting will give the optimum results.

CoolSculpting is an excellent choice for motivated patients

CoolSculpting reliably eliminates about 25% of the fat cells treated in each cycle.  Once you are past adolescence, fat cells do not regenerate so the results are permanent.  Fat cells do fluctuate in size with changes in diet and exercise so maintaining healthy eating and exercise habits enhances results with CoolSculpting or any other liporeduction procedure.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon