Could continuous crusting in the nose mean I have septal perforation?

I had a primary rhinplasty over 1 year ago. Ever since I have had crusting and dryness in one of my nostrils. It never heals because it is always dry. Could I have a septal perforation? Is it something that I would be able to identify? I cannot see any holes and do not have any whistling.

Continuous Crusting 1 Year after Rhinoplasty

There are many possible causes of rusting including a septal perforation. An examination is necessary to determine the cause of your problem and discuss your alternatives.

Septal perforation

Thank you for the question and I would see my surgeon or other expert in the field as you need an examination to find out definitively what is going on.
Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Crusting in Nose after Rhinoplasty

Dear skinskinskinskin, An in office examination would determine if you have a septal perforation. See your surgeon and if there is no perforation present then you can discuss treatments to help keep your nose moist. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Rhinoplasty and crusting

Recovering from rhinoplasty is a healing process. Crusting may be encountered for a couple of reasons. Most are benign. It's important to see your surgeon to make sure there is no septal perforation. A septal perforation is a hole in the wall between the two sides of your nose. It can be caused by inhaled drugs, surgery, and certain medical conditions. It can show up as whistling, nose bleeds, obstructed breathing, and a lot of crusting. Small ones may be repaired. A dry nose is not a healthy nose. Boost the moisture with nasal saline, saline gels, sinus irrigation, and humidification. These can improve crusting and allow the inside of your nose to heal. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon