Are these considered eye bags, dark circles or puffy eyes? And what can I do about them? (Photo)

They do feel swollen or puffy. I'm not certain if they're purple or red.

Tear Troughs or Dark Circles - Easily Corrected With Filler

Hi, and thanks for your question. From the picture, it looks like you have a bit of fullness to your lower eyelid from a little fat protrusion. You also have a little volume loss under the lid, otherwise known as tear trough hollows. The hollow results in a shadow falling into the area and the appearance of dark circles under the eyes. This combination of events (fullness and volume loss) happens to everyone sooner or later, depending on genetics. I correct this issue daily in my clinic using a form of Juvederm I prepare specifically for the under eye area. The Juvederm fills the hollow and camouflages the lower lid fullness. Using this preparation, I have seen results last for up to 6 years. Some patients need a touch up earlier, but I can promise at least 2 years. The procedure is safe, takes 15 minutes to perform and results are visible immediately after. Of the 4000 of these I have done over the past 12 years, the worst side effect I have seen is a temporary bruise. Hope that helps. 

This would be an under eye circle.

There are many causes of contour issues visible in the lower eyelid.  You can do your own diagnosis.  Put your index finger on the top of the bump in your lower eyelid.  What you feel is the bony orbital rim.  It is not herniated orbital fat which is what lower eyelid surgery is performed for.  Unforunately the vast majority of lower eyelid surgeons do not understand that some of apparent "bags" in the lower eyelid are not caused by fat but are actually the visible orbital rim.  The current state of the art treatment for this is not surgery but rather Restylane hyaluronic acid filler.  These serves often last well over a year at a time and are performed without surgery and minimal down time.  You can have service at the time of your consultation.

Lower lid Dark Circles

Looking at your photos it seems that you have some fat protruding forward and also some hollowness.  I would suggest an injectable filler to improve the appearance of your lower lids.

Jessica Lattman, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fillers

I WOULD TRY FILLERS BEFORE GOING IN AND DOING SURGERY , THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FAT TRANSFER AND FILLERS ARE FILLER ARE LESS INVASIVE AND CAN LAST 6-9 MONTHS SOMETIMES UP TO A YEAR DEPENDING ON WHICH ONES. FAT TRANSFERS ARE USUALLY SURGICALLY DONE WITH LIPO AND TRANSFERRED TO ANOTHER AREA OF THE BODY. A FAT TRANSFER CAN ALSO BE DONE THROUGH A LOCAL AFTER SURGERY FOR A REPEAT FAT INJECTION. FAT INJECTIONS OR TRANSFERS ARE USUALLY MORE PERMANENT. THIS IS SOMETHING THAT YOU MAY WANT TO SPEAK TO YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT IN A CONSULTATION AND SEE WHAT YOUR OPTIONS ARE.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Dark Circles, Eyelid Wrinkles/Bags Treatment -- Restylane or Belotero with Cannulas, Clear+Brilliant, Eclipse Micropen, Viva

The eyes are best treated with a combination approach of fillers, lasers, microneedling/PRP for improvement. Ultherapy/thermage, venus legacy all do well for swelling or puffiness. I would suggest consulting an expert. If surgery is an option they will recommend. Best, Dr. Emer

Are these considered eye bags, dark circles or puffy eyes?

The answer is all of the above. You do have bags, which are fat pockets. Underneath the bags are hollow areas creating dark circles. Treatment options include surgical (lower transconjunctival blepharoplasty with fat repositioning) vs. nonsurgical (filler injection in the hollow area). See an oculoplastic specialist.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Puffy Eyes

Dear Patient from LA,It does appear that you have some fullness in the lower eyelid region. This can occur in young individuals at times and often has a genetic basis. Fullness in the lower eyelid can make someone appear tired or sick even when they feel fine inside. There are some surgical and non surgical options to help this condition.I suggest you seek a specialist in your area in Oculoplastic Surgery. Dr. Massry is in your area a good person to seek out for an in person evaluation.

Adam Scheiner, MD
Tampa Oculoplastic Surgeon