Why is there so much conflicting advice Post Vaser (from exercise to wearing compression binder)?

I recently had Vaser liposuction performed on my upper and lower abdomen, flanks, bra rolls, and lower back with a total of 1200 CCs removed. My doc recommended that I wear the compression binder 24-hours for the first week, then 12-hours for the second week, and no longer after that. He also said it was okay to resume exercise 2-weeks post Vaser. My question is: Why are there so much conflicting advice on how long to wear compression binders and when to resume exercise?

Conflicting Advice for Post-Liposuction Care

There is so much conflicting advice because there are no studies that have tested every possible postoperative regimen out there for liposuction. Compression garments help your skin to redrape to its new shape. The longer you wear it, the better. I advise my patients to wear garment for 6 weeks minimum. Exercise is limited to walking for the first 6 weeks, with slow resumption of more strenuous exercise to allow for maximal healing and not stir up inflammation. Your body will let you know. It's not unusual to have tingling sensations or shooting pains (especially in the flanks/love handles area) with high impact activity once you start exercising. Some patients will wear a binder to help decrease that sensation.

Sacramento Physician

Vaser Liposuction/ Liposculpture / Hi Definition procedures/Body Contouring with fat grafting

My patients follow a strict post op protocol following Vaser that includes double compression and daily MLD treatments.  Compression garments are worn up to 3 months.    Its important that you discuss this with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for their patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute
#RealSelf100Surgeon

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting

My vaser hi def patients follow a very strict protocol and that includes compression for at least 3 weeks and lymphatic massage. I suggest seeing an expert or speaking to your physician.   Best, Dr. Emer.

Thank you for your question. Every surgeon has his/her protocol and what seems to work in their practice. The VASER is a tool. Some surgeons are very skillful in using this tool and others are less so. Obviously, the results and recovery will vary as well. I do not use compression binders, they tend to slide, roll and leave uneven compression of the treated areas. I use a compression garment and my patients are measured for these preop. One size does not fit all! If the surgeon does VASER Hi Def lipo, or tummy tuck 4D or the EVE tummy tuck, one needs to wear the compression garment for 4-6 weeks (occasionally longer), have daily massage of the area treated, have special foam compression.  Light exercise is allowed at 3 weeks, but strenuous work out not until the major swelling resolves. The VASER in the right hands can give truly impressive results. Good luck with your healing.

Post Vaser Instructions

Dear Aprilshowers2000,

Every office has different post-op instructions on the usage of  compression garments and binders. The recovery process is also different for everyone. Normally after liposuction, you will need to wear a special compassion garment for up to a month to help ensure a good contour to your treated areas. Following this period you may gradually return to activities such or lifting, exercise. Avoid any high impact activities for about one month.