Should I be concerned? Hot swollen tummy at drainage site, 5 days po. (photos)

I had a TT rev. with major muscle repair 5 days ago. I have 2 drains in w/ less than 15 ml output. In the past hour I feel like I have a fever coming on (my thermometer isn't accurate so I'm not sure if I do) and my tummy is hard and swollen and warm especially near the right drain. Should I be concerned- I don't want to freak my family out if this is something that can wait until Tues. I'm still taking the antibiotics I was prescribed for after surgery. I don't notice any pus coming out.

Drain Site Irritation

If you mean less than 15 ml in a 24 hour period, then they are ready to come out.  If you mean in a 4 hour period, they'll need to stay in. Go visit your surgeon to be examined.

Pain tenderness swelling and fevers

You are most likely having postoperative side effects syndrome but it is always a good idea to follow up with your physician in the early postoperative period.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Tummy Tuck - Drain site discomfort

Thank you for your question and photos. Congratulations on your recent revision procedure. I suggest following up with your plastic surgeon today. The drain output is low enough to have them removed. This should alleviate the local irritation they are causing. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

See/call your doctor

It sounds like your doing ok and don't need to worry; however, you should be calling your doctor instead of going on Realself.  It also sounds like your drain should be coming out during your first visit.

Andre Aboolian, MD

You should always be concerned if you have redness and pain

and you should also be asking your surgeon for advice when only days out from surgery.  Photos do not show anything concerning but nothing can replace an examination that only your surgeon can do.  If your drains are truly putting out just 15 cc's for the day, your surgeon could remove them to eliminate them as a source of irritation and potential retrograde infection.  So I hope you have seen your surgeon by now and maybe  had your drain(s) removed.

Curtis Wong, MD