Columellar strut graft. Without me asking to check for graft deviation, would my doctor notice if the graft shifted?

I recently had a columellar strut graft placed in my nose to increase projection. I had concerns about my graft shifting, which may have just been paranoia. when I had a follow up visit with my doctor for an examination of my nose, I forgot to mention my concern. without me asking him to check for graft deviation, would he have noticed if the graft shifted on his own? or is that something I have to specifically ask him to check?

Questions regarding Columellar Strut Shifting

Dear dc0522, Generally speaking when the surgeon sees a patient for a follow up appointment he/she will be reviewing the work that has been performed and if anything seems of concern would most likely bring that to the patients attention. If you have concerns remember to discuss this with your surgeon at your follow up appointment. It is often a good idea to have a note page next to your bed and as questions come to mind jot them down so you remember to review everything with your surgeon during your follow up appointments. I personally give my patients my cell phone number so I can be reached any time of day or night to answer any questions and then they can rest easy during their recovery. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Columellar strut graft loose

If you columellar strut graft shifts then in theory your entire nasal tip would also drop. The fact that it is loose or as some other patients describe it being firm is irrelevant; the end result is whether you tip is in fact the lead point of your nasal dorsum and well projected.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Recovering from rhinoplasty and follow-up appointments.

Rhinoplasty is a surgery to improve the shape of the nose for breathing or appearance.

The recovery process is a long one. I like to see my patients after surgery in follow-up appointments to evaluate their progress. It may be a quick visit if everything is looking well, but it's important for the surgeon to see the changes as you heal. 

It's also a great opportunity for the patient to bring up questions regarding medications, activities, restrictions, or concerns. With regular visits, I can nip any potential issues in the bud. I recommend keeping your regularly scheduled appointments so your surgeon can keep you on track for safe and happy result. Safety comes first.

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon