Do I need a chin implant or jaw surgery? (Photos)

I still can't put my finger on exactly what is wrong with my chin? Is it just small and needing an implant or is it a different issue with the lower half of my face? Also, from the front there is a visible protrusion of my lower teeth under my bottom lip. What is that called and what is the best way to address it?

Chin augmentation?

Based on your  photos it appears that augmentation with small chin implant to increase projection of the chin in central part would create nice improvement. I would not advise the use of extended chin implant in your case.

You should seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with good reputation in facial implants and discuss your options. Good luck.

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Chin Enhancement

While it is difficult to tell from photos alone, it appears that there are a couple of different issues with your chin that can be addressed to enhance your appearance.  I'm not certain that a chin implant will necessarily achieve your desired results.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can evaluate you properly and discuss options with you to achieve the results you seek.  3-dimensional computer imaging can also help you visualize what you may look like afterwards and serve as an important communication tool with your surgeon.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Chin implant

Assuming that your bite is normal then either a chin implant or genioplasty would give your chin more projection and therefore better facial balance. The height of your chin is good, so a chin implant can provide improved projection and can be accomplished in the office with local anesthesia or intravenous sedation.

CHIN AUGMENTATION CANDIDATE WITH BUCCAL FAT PAD REMOVAL

Dear jenniferlynn, If you have bite issues then you may require jaw surgery otherwise if this is just for cosmetic concerns then a chin implant would provide nice projection to balance your profile. You have very full cheeks in the lower portion of your face which can be addressed with buccal fat pad removal and some filler in the upper cheek area would bring a nice balance to your face giving you a more heart shaped face which will soften and feminize your overall facial aesthetics. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Chin Augmentation

Your chin is short and wide. It is not clear from your pictures as to what your bite looks like. If you have a bad bite (lower teeth way behind your upper teeth) then jaw surgery should be considered. But assuming your bite is fine, the best choice would be a sliding genioplasty as this will bring your chin forward and narrow it as well. An implant will being your chin forward but may also make it wide unless a special chin implant design is used.

Chin enhancement

Thank you for the question and the photos and I would go on complimentary consults with experts in the area and be evaluated.  Choose those that use digital photography to show you how you might look following surgery so you are fully informed what might give you the best result.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Do I need a chin implant or jaw surgery?

Jaw surgery is performed by an oral surgeon under general anesthesia with an overnight hospital stay, since it is very invasive. Chin implants are placed through small incision underneath the chin under local anesthesia which takes approximately 30 minutes. Consider jaw surgery if your teeth are significantly out alignment. Chin implants are performed for purely cosmetic purposes to augment the jaw and mandible. Chin implants are manufactured in a large array of sizes and shapes, and can be custom carved when necessary to meet the patient's unique anatomy. In our practice, we have been using Implantech silastic chin implants for over 25 years with an excellent success rate. For more information  and many examples, please see the link and the video below

Symmetrical Solutions with facial fillers (voluma, juvederm), sculptra, fat

I recommend getting a formal consultation with a facial contouring expert. Facial Fillers (voluma, restylane, juvederm), Sculptra, implants and/or fat can be used to improve symmetry to the face, including the lower lip protrusion. See an expert for a formal consultation. Best, Dr. Emer

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Hope this helps.