Would I need to have the skin tightened after CoolSculpting under chin?

I have fat under my chin and I am wondering if I would need to have the skin tightened after cool sculpting?

Skin Under Chin

It depends on how much skin laxity you have after the treatment is completed. Sometimes the skin recoils well and there is minimal laxity, but it really depends on the person and the skin quality. It is best to be evaluated in person to assess the area of concern and determine what is the best treatment for you.

Coolsculpting

I appreciate your question.
They are coming out with an applicator designed for the neck/chin area

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

CoolSculpting

As of now CoolSculpting is great for the body, but there is not a treatment tip for fat under the chin. Fortunately there has been a new FDA approved treatment called Kybella which targets stubborn chin fat, or there are options such as ThermiRF and Ultherapy for skin tightening and fat removal. A consultation with an expert who offers multiple skin tightening and fat removal options is recommended to see what treatment is best for you.

Kimberly Butterwick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Fat under the chin

At this current moment, I would be recommending either liposuction with energy assistance (e.g. Slimlipo) to reduce the fat and tighten the skin.  The alternative is Kybella which is a non-invasive approach to reduce the fat.

I would go to a practice that offers both treatment modalities to help you decide what is best for you.

CoolSculpting

The CoolSculpting applicator for under the chin is still in development. An alternative for treating fat under the chin is Kybella. This involves a series of injections under the chin to dissolve fat--a much safer alternative to liposuction.

Ava Shamban, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Try Ultherapy instead for the neck.

Currently there is not an appropriate CoolSculpting applicator for the neck or chin.  I would suggest locating a board certified Dermatologist who specializes in Ultherapy to reduce the volume as well as tighten the lax skin.
As far as treating other body areas with CoolSculpting, we cannot promise tighter skin in treated areas but have found that the skin tends to retract nicely.

Tina Venetos, MD
Lake Forest Dermatologist

Coolsculpting under the Chin

Coolsculpting is a great cosmetic procedure for reducing fat in the abdomen, legs, arms, thighs, and buttocks.  However, there is no piece yet developed for the area under the chin.  One company is working on an injection to reduce the fat in that area but no such procedure is complete yet.  For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience with experience with these cosmetic procedures.

CoolSculpting Under Chin

There is a special applicator in development that may allow us to treat under the chin with CoolSculpting in the future, but as of right now we are unable to treat the fat underneath the chin with CoolSculpting. I perform a treatment called ThermiTight that can sculpt the fat underneath the chin and tighten the loose skin at the same time. You can learn more info about it by clicking the link below. Hope this helps.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

CoolSculpting under chin

There is not yet a CoolSculpting applicator that is FDA approved for treatment of fat under the chin.  When fat is being treated under the chin with liposuction, there are some patients that do not need skin tightened and some that do.  You would need to be examined to determine what treatment might be best for you.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Skin tightening after cool sculpting under the chin

Coolsculpting for submental fat (double chin, fat under the chin) can reduce the fat pad but is not design to tighten skin. However, given the gradual nature of the fat removal over the 3 months following cool sculpting, the skin does typically tighten. If there is still some laxity, a tightening procedure with radio frequency can be used.

Meg Cherry, MD
Birmingham Dermatologic Surgeon