Will chemical peel help someone with melasma - what's best for that?

Chemical peel for melasma

Thank you for your question about treating melasma with chemical peels. 

There are many peels that can help with melasma.  Typically a series of peels is needed to treat the pigmentation associated with melasma.  Once treated and during the treatment process, it is important to use a topical product that will suppress the melanocytes that produce excess pigment.  In addition, SPF and sun avoidance will also aid in minimizing the return of melasma pigmentation. 

To assure you are getting the proper treatment for melasma, see two or more experienced, licensed and board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

A series of light chem peels and prescription bleaching cream is the treatment for melasma.

A series of usually 6 light chemical peels while using a prescription bleaching cream does great for most melisma patients.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Chemical peel melasma

I have been successful in treating melasma with my regimen.  It is full proof as I have experience of treating it for over 14 years.  I have my own formulation prepared by a compounding pharmacy and do perform special chemical peels that decreases melanogenesis and helps with the topical treatment in conjuction very effectively.  There are thousands of chemical peel and it is an art and science knowing how to use them.   There is an art being a dermatologist knowing how to use chemicals which even board certified dermatologist do not majority of which have training on.  This is very rare and a field that everyone wants to be in and practice but no one but the truly trained and experienced can achieve the best results.   So the treatment is very possible under the true trained skin doctor.

Afshin Farzadmehr, MD

Melissa can be very challenging.

Triple cream products like Triluma which contain, retin A, hydrocortisone, and hydroquinone, so-called bleaching cream, is not very effective for melasma.  The pigment associated with melasma is deep in the skin so many treatments are not effective for removing them.  In fact many treatments good for treating sun related hyperpigmenation can actually stimulate inflammation and make melasma worse.  I recommend that you see a board certified dermatologist for personal attention for this.