What does capsular contracture feel like?

I am 7 days post op and my right breast seems to be dropping a bit and looks more natural. directly above the incision on the left breast it feels almost as though I can feel the bottom of the implant. It is lumpy and when I left my arms, it almost looks like you can see the outline of the implant. Is this capsular contracture? Or could the implant have come out of the pocket that was created for it?

Capsular contracture 1 week after surgery?

It is HIGHLY unlikely that you are already developing capsular contracture only 1 week after surgery. Trust your instincts, however, that if your right breast is different from your left breast there might be something going on. Contact your surgeon immediately as every surgeon has his/her own protocol for post op activity and massage. 

Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

You do not have a contracture

and photos would help better appreciate what you are concerned about.  Regardless, this early in your recovery, you should be contacting your surgeon with all of your concerns, no matter how insignificant they may seem as your surgeon truly is the only one who can provide you the reassurances you seek and who has the knowledge of just what was done at surgery.  So contact your surgeon with your concerns and answers to your questions.

Curtis Wong, MD

Post Op Concerns

Unfortunately it is difficult to know what you might be talking about without seeing you or photographs at least. At 7 days post op you will have significant swelling and pressure distorting the breast and displacing the implants up and outward slightly. The implants will often settle at slightly different rates as well and each breast might be a slightly different volume with crease differences effecting this process. If you feel something is wrong or changing drastically it is best to visit with your Plastic Surgeon in person and let them examine and advise you.

All the best

It is highly unlikely that you have capsular contracture this soon post operatively.  It is normal for the breasts to feel very firm early on and for the implant edges to be palpable, especially if you have very little native breast tissue.  It is also normal for one side to settle a bit faster than the other.  That being said, capsular contracture can begin to occur as early as weeks or months after surgery and it feels like a tight, squeezing, uncomfortable achy tightness and usually in just one breast.  Please continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon and follow his/her instructions.

Michael Brucker, MD

Capsular contraction

You are only 7 days post op, and I would suggest you keep the manipulation of your breasts and arms at a minimum, so as not to disrupt the surgery you had, as the normal scar tissue build up to "protect" the implant.  At this point, you do not have capsular contraction.