Follow-up Question - Capsular contracture? Possible early sign?

I read somewhere that when an implant breaks, the silicone can migrate to other body parts and especially to the lungs, I'm guessing then you're dead right? I have 325cc cohesive silicone implants under the muscle. Got them in april 2016, how often should I go to get an MRI? Also I have some twitching under my armpit and through my right arm, especially when i gently press on top of my breast implant. Could this be an early sign for capsular contracture?

To see previous question, please click here.

Early sign of capsular contracture?

Hi Katharinnaxo,

Thank you for your questions.  Current FDA recommendations are to have an initial MRI at 3 years following your procedure and every 2 years thereafter to screen for silent rupture.  Silent rupture is much less of a concern with the newer generations of more cohesive gel implants, however I definitely recommend yearly follow-ups with your plastic surgeon and, if necessary, mammograms as recommended by the American Cancer Society to screen for overall breast health.

Muscle twitching/spasm 4-5 months after augmentation is not one of the signs that is known to indicate early capsular contracture and is more likely just part of the normal healing process when an implant is inserted under the muscle.  If you continue to have concerns, I would encourage you to schedule a follow-up appointment with your plastic surgeon.

Best wishes!

Dr. Brown 

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Silicone Gel Implants Are Safe

No, you are very very wrong. Rupture silicone gel implants are safe, and don't migrate outside the capsule.  You should sit down with your surgeon so that he can review these concepts with you, along with a recommended surveillance schedule. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Leaking silicone will not cause death

with cohesive gel implants, the consistency is somewhat time a really thick blob of jam. It is extremely unlikely to get into your blood stream and travel to your lungs. Even if it does, a tiny amount of silicone in your lungs is no where as bad as smoking a pack of cigarettes. Additionally, your body forms a capsule around the implant within 2 weeks of the implant being placed. This capsule will keep the implant and it's contents contained. 

We used to say that you should get an MRI 3 years after placement of implant and then every other year thereafter. That is actually no longer the recommendation because it caused a lot of waste. 

Capsular contracture can have various symptoms, but what you describe does not sound like it. Are your breasts hard? Is one side looking drastically different from the other? A small leak in the implant can cause your capsule to calcify and therefore contract over time. Best to see your surgeon for an in person exam 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon