Capsular contracture on right breast or implant located too high? (photos)

CI had breast augmentation on 10/12015. My breast were symmetrical right after surgery but I was asymmetrical before BA. I had silicone 500cc under the muscle. Before BA I breast fed three children and was asymmetrical. Left breast was saggier and had less volume. After BA right breast is tighter and more firm. PS told me that I might have CC. My right is just as soft as the other one in the middle and lower parts of the breast. It's just the upper pole that feels more firm and tight.

CC vs Malposition

Agree with others comments hard to diagnose contracture from a photo.  Most likely the implant is just high.  Your left chest is more narrow than your right giving the implant less space to fall into.  This increases the likelihood of that side ending up with a higher positioned implant.  However even if the implant on that side was in a proper position a mastopexy or breast lift most likely will be required to achieve proper nipple position on the breast mound and breast symmetry.

Jackson Plastic Surgeon

Do you have CC?

Although capsular contractures following breast augmentation can occur just about any time, most women start having symptoms around three months after their breast implant surgery. This is because it takes some time for a capsule to form and then to scar down (contracture).
Capsular Contracture is a condition in which the capsule surrounding the implant thickens and contracts, squeezing the implant making it overly firm or hard and often changing the shape and position of the implant. As the capsule contracts it moves the implant further up your chest wall making upper portion of your breast too large and unshapely. It is more far more common in nicotine users (e.g. smoking, vaping or nicotine gum or patches).

You need an in person examination to determine if you have CC or not. 

Capsular contracture on right breast or implant located too high?

I or nobody in this forum can tell you for sure without an exam. You certainly could have a capsular contracture this early and I would listen to what your surgeon has to say on the issue if you trust them. Usually for a contracture you have to replace the implant and remove the contracted capsule. Fortunately, we are in a time if you have used one of the implant companies that has a policy for contracture they will help cover some of the cost for the implant and surgery. Find out the warranty information on your implants. It was only recently that they began to cover capsular contracture. 

Richard J. Brown, MD

Breast Asymmetry

It is likely you have capsular contracture.  It is not correct that at three months it is unlikely; it is most likely in the first three months.  Regardless, it is also likely you'll need a revision surgery to treat your asymmetry, regardless of its cause.  Keep in mind that capsular contracture is the most common complication of breast augmentation that leads to unplanned reoperation, and that periareolar incisions put you at highest risk for capsular contracture compared to inframammary or axillary incisions.

If you are going to have a revision surgery, you should insist on lowering your risk of recurrence, so you should insist on an inframammary incision and a total capsulectomy, or removal of scar tissue.  You do not need to invest in an expensive biologic like an ADM, as it has not shown to be superior to total scar removal and replacement with a new implant through an inframammary incision.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Asymmetric breasts

You have malposition of your left breast superiorly, this results in enlarged bulge in the upper breast pole and decreased fullness in the lower breast pole. this has resulted in your asymmetry. Please see examples of breast revisions.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Contracture or displacement

You may have either! A capsular contracture can elevate the implant as well as non -pliable pec muscle entrapping the implant. If however you feel that the breast is getting harder you may indeed have contracture. The best way is to see your surgeon to figure it out. I hope this helps!

Ritu Chopra MD

Ritu Chopra, MD

Breast Implant Position

Good morning and thank you for your question and photos. In my opinion, I think you need to continue breast massage, (if okay by your surgeon) and give it a full six months to see if there is any change. It seems like you are keeping in touch with your surgeon, so continue to do so. If the breast does not settle, it would just require a minor procedure to correct. 
In the meantime, try to relax...Good luck!

Michael K. Obeng, MD, FACS

Asymmetry

You should see your surgeon about this issue. He will need to examine your breasts to see what is the cause and how to treat it. You may have a capsule or perhaps there are some muscle fibers preventing the breast from dropping into place creating a tight implant pocket.

Asymmetrical

Thank you for the photo and the left implant does appear to be higher then the one on the right but an examination is really needed to say what is going on.  That said if it does not drop you may need a revision in the future.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Implant located too high?

From your medical history and the pictures provided, I am tempted to say that you do not have capsular contracture but it is the right implant that is sitting too high. Please take this as a guess, and an examination would be needed to confirm my opinion, but if this is the case you may want to wait a bit longer to see if you get any improvement over next couple of months. If at that time the asymmetry will still be visible, you may want to discuss the options for a revision with your surgeon.

Ciro Adamo, PhD, MD
London Plastic Surgeon