Bumpiness and remaining loose skin following male breast reduction surgery? (photos)

Hello, A month ago I had surgery to reduce loose skin on my chest following weight loss. The surgeon performed donut incisions around the areolas to remove the skin, and also performed some lipo around the entire area. Two things that concern me are: 1) The skin on the outer part of my chest is a little bumpy and unsmooth, and 2) When I bend over, loose skin is still present around my areolas. Are these two issues anything to worry about? Will they get better with time? Thank you!

After Gynecomastia Surgery Concerns

It's still quite soon into your healing. Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.Your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Wait it out

I suggest you wait a couple of more months before assessing your results. Those problems may rectify themselves with time. If they don't, go back to your surgeon to talk about it. Good luck!

Lumpiness after Gynecomastia surgery

Thank you for your pictures.  I agree with the other experts that you should re-evaluate result no sooner than 3 months.  If you still have this appears you may need a revision.

Loose skin and bumpiness after male breast reduction

Thank you for your question and your photos look good at this point but not having the opportunity to see you before surgery makes it difficult to tell how good your result is going to be.  You still have heal further and this could be up to 3-6 months before you see your final result.  I think you will get better with time but you will need to be patient.

John D. Smoot, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Male Breast Reduction

You definitely need more time and continue wearing a compression garment. Not seeing your pre op, it seems as if you have a good result for this time.
Malcolm Lesavoy, MD

Male breast surgery

At the one month point, you should have a smooth contour with palpable lumpiness but not visual contour irregaularity.

Arian Mowlavi, MD