Breast implant illness in Los Angeles. (photos)

Why is it so hard to find a plastic Surgon that believes implants can in fact cause women to be sick? I have all the signs that so many other women are having with implants. Yet when I go for a ps consult and tell them that I'm so sick (my ANA is positive for autoimmune) ect. and they say that has nothing to do with my implants.The only doctors who Know this is a real problem seem to be far away from California and I just can't afford that. are there any ps that Know and believe in BII in la?

Illness

The only way to know is have your implants removed.  Breast implant removal should be performed with complete en bloc capsulectomy. The capsule should not be left in place or the space will not heal. In patients that believe that their implants are causing them illness, leaving the capsule behind will not result in any improvement in their symptoms.  After the explantation with capsulectomy is healed, you can develop an plan for further surgery if it is warranted and is safe from a technical standpoint.

Removal

If you want your implants and capsules removed, then find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to remove them. However, most insurance companies will not cover removal of breast implants unless you have the old ruptured gel implants.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant illness in Los Angeles.

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing. You will find many good board certified plastic surgeons who can help you. Patients in your situation often request removal of breast implants along with capsulectomy surgery.  In your case, possible breast lifting surgery should also be part of the conversation.

I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. 

***Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

You may find the attached link/video helpful to you as you learn more.