Cant breathe 1.5 year post op? (Photos)

Last year I had a septorhinoplasty done. I had a broken nose and a deviated septum but was always able to breathe fine. ever since my surgery i havnt been able to breath correctly. I breathe loud and i feel as if the inside top part of my nose is swollen which isnt allowing enough air to go in. Ive spoken to my doctor about this and he says it is allergies and that the reason why i never had this problem before the surgery is because my nose was bigger. Is my surgeon trying to cover up his botched work?

Breathing issues after rhinoplasty

I would recommend that you see a board certified facial plastic surgeon for a consult.  You will need an examination to correctly diagnose the reason for your breathing issues.

Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Difficulty breathing after rhinoplasty?

Difficulty breathing after rhinoplasty? Only an examination of your nose can answer this question because there are many causes of this.

Difficulty breathing

Difficulty breathing following rhinoplasty/septoplasty requires an examination of your nose in person so that a comprehensive check list can be evaluated.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Breathing Obstruction 1.5 Years after Rhinoplasty

There are many possible causes of your breathing obstruction after rhinoplasty surgery. It is very unlikely that this will improve now that you're 1.5 years after the operation. It sounds like you're not satisfied with your surgeon's explanation; I suggest you get a second opinion.

Breathing issues after rhinoplasty

It is very difficult to say why you are having these issues just from the photos. I would suggest visiting with a revision rhinoplasty surgeon to further discuss your options after an in person examination. 
Best of luck

David Reinstadler, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty

Obtaining your previous operative note and consulting with a rhinoplasty specialist would be helpful in determining if your diagnosis is indeed correct. Consultation will give you a better idea of what options are available to you. 

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Difficulty breathing after rhinoplasty

There are many variables that may cause difficulty breathing after a septorhinoplasty, including scar tissue, a reduced internal angle (where the septum meets the side of the nose), allergies, turbinates (the humidifiers of the nose), etc.  You may consider trying an allergy medication, and nasal sprays such as Afrin on occasion.  If there is no improvement in your breathing, then it is likely structural and may need surgical correction.  Try these maneuvers and discuss with your surgeon; if you don't feel comfortable, consult with another Board-Certified plastic surgeon.

Breathing after Rhinoplasty

Sorry to hear about your issue. Based on these photos, it is hard to say if your issue is a result of the surgery. A important part of nasal function is not just how it looks on the outside, but also how the nose looks on the inside.  Rhinoplasty has been known to worsen breathing. It is not always from a botched job and there are some uncontrollable factors. I would get a second opinion from another surgeon. A nasal endoscopy with video can be done so you can see for yourself if there is any obstruction on the inside of the nose. Good luck!

Satyen Undavia, MD
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon