Can I breast feed with implants?

I am 37 - and planning to get implants - i also want to have more kids later Is it safe? will I be able to breast feed?

Breast-feeding and implants

You pose an excellent and commonly asked question . There is no risk to the infant with breast-feeding from a woman who has  implants  There is no connection with the breast tissue or ducts.  However from a cosmetic point of view I don't recommend that you breast-feed for more than three months. Long breast-feeding will cause the tissue to stretch out and you may likely need to have a lift when you are done 

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Breast feed with implants

Breast implants do not interfere with the function of the breast, and you can definitely breast feed if you have implants.

Breast feeding after augmentation

should be anticipated but if any incisions are made around the areola, you are diminishing your ability to fully breast feed as ducts are cut when using that approach.  If you wish to maintain you best chance at breast feeding and avoid other complications, the under the breast approach is the absolute best.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast implants and breastfeeding

Breast implants placed below your breast tissue or under your pectoralis muscles should not affect your ability to breast feed if you are able to breast feed without implants. The preferred incision given your concerns would be the inframammary fold incision so that your breast tissue is not disrupted during the surgery. Pregnancy and breastfeeding may alter the appearance of your breasts and breast implants in the long term but they are safe to have before, during, or after pregnancy. Hope this helps!
Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Breast feeding after implants

Great question.  Yes, if you were able to breast feed before, you should still have the ability to breast feed after an augmentation with implants.  This surgery should not affect your ability to breast feed.  If you require a breast lift as well, then there is a potential for difficulty feeding.  Best of luck and hope this information helps!- Dr. Roger Tsai

Roger Tsai, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Breast feeding and Breast Augmentation

The short answer : If you can breast feed pre-op, you should be able to breast feed post-op.Breast augmentation, itself, does not directly affect an individual's ability to breast feed post operatively. However, the access incision which is used can have an impact on the ability to breast feed, specifically the peri-areolar approach. This incision can damage some of breast tissue and ducts (in the course of dissection) which can potentially negatively impact a patient's breast feeding potential post op. While this is by no means guaranteed, more distant incisions (IMF/Axilla) carry less risk as they avoid the breast tissue entirely in the course of creating a sub-pectoral pocket.Additionally, silicone implants pose no risk to the breast feeding child. This has been demonstrated in numerous studies with no evidence of significant silicone transmission into breast milkFinally, it is also important to remember that a woman's breast changes post breast feeding. Having children post augmentation can compromise the aesthetic result achieved. As always, discuss your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Donovan Rosas, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Breast Feeding with Implants

Good question. Breast implants should not affect your ability to breast feed your children. If you are planning on having your surgery soon, be sure to always consult with a board certified plastic surgeon and express your desire to possibly have children later on in the future. Regards,

Breast feeding with implants

Many women have implants and breast feed.  I would recommend inframammary incision and under the muscle approach.  Best of luck to you!!

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Can I breast feed with implants?

Yes, there should be no problem with breast feeding particularly if your incision is not around the areola and the pocket is under the muscle.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Breast Feeding

Hello,Regardless of approach, you will retain the ability of breast feeding, assuming you have the ability (it is not always effective in all women). However, the inframammary approach is the best incision for breast augmentation, leading to the least risk of the most common complication, capsular contracture, as well as other common problems of breast deformity associated scaring. The inframammary incision allows the surgeon to avoid any breast tissue structures.Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS