By breasts are still uneven, do you think lipo can fix this? (Photos)

I had a reduction 5 weeks ago. I went from a HHH to a B/C Im dealing with unevenness and I'm really sad. I know they are still swollen, but it is so noticeable. One thing I didnt know is that since I had breast cancer 3 years ago and radiation, my right side will heal differently. My right side feels like a fake breast while my left side is starting to drop like a breast. My right side leaves indentations and is so hard. DR said this is normal. Is it? Can they be evened out with lipo??

Breast Healing

Hello and thank you for sharing your concerns. You are still very early in the recovery process, so please give yourself three to six months for maximum results. From the photos you provided, you are healing great! I would not worry about it. However, if you are still concerned, I recommend following up with your surgeon again. I wish you the best of luck!

Breast Reduction Results

I know that you are upset by the persistent asymmetry, but your case is quite challenging. First,  you were above average in size; that alone makes getting perfect symmetry difficult.  The other very important issue is the history of radiation therapy to your right breast. This has permanently changed the tissue of the right breast and it will require a lot of time to heal. You are only 5 weeks out, so you will need a lot of time before you can really assess the degree of asymmetry and what is necessary to improve their appearance. In the mean time, please find the good that has come so far with these smaller, more comfortable breasts. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Breast reduction - sad about the result!

Thank you for asking about your breast reduction.

• You appear to have a lovely result for someone who had a lumpectomy and radiation on one side.
  • You are early after surgery - give yourself a full six months to heal.
  • Your right breast is hard and feels fake because of the combination of swelling from surgery and previous radiation.
  • Once everything is healed, if the radiated side feels too hard, fat transfers may soften it a lot.
  • The radiated breast can't be liposuctioned but the other side can.
  • Your surgeon is right - what you are going through is normal.
  • Appreciate your surgeon's good work and your good healing, give yourself time and then discuss with yoru surgeon what more might be done.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Breast Reduction Post B-C/5 Weeks/Unhappy with Results--Not finished Healing/Lipo/Fat Transfer options for after healing

Your final results can take months to appear. If after healing you are unhappy with your results, liposuction to decrease size or fat transfer to increase size can help. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Breast Healing

You're very early in the healing process given your challenging history and surgery.  It's in your best interest to sit tight and let everything completely heal.  Modifications may be in your future but you should wait at least 6 months or more before entertaining that.  Be patient and discuss with your surgeon.

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Breast reduction 5 weeks ago- asymmetry

Your surgery was quite difficult given your prior breast cancer, and it is only 5 weeks post-op.  You should wait a full 6 months before even considering a revision!  

You must also be realistic in your expectations.  While minor revisions are quite common, it appears your surgery was well done.

Brent Moelleken, MD

By breasts are still uneven, do you think lipo can fix this?

You can certainly have further modification of the nonradiated breast after several months to get more even. To expect very close symmetry after radiation on one side is very unrealistic. It is good that you had the healing you did after surgery on a radiated breast. The list of complications when doing that is very long. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Correcting Brester duction

Revisions are probably more common in plastic surgery than people think.

You may benefit from the revision of your breast reduction but this is probably not best done with liposuction.

Having had a history of breast cancer all the breast surgery will be covered by insurance.

Go back to your plastic surgeon and ask him or her if and revision is appropriate.

Having had radiation in the past warranted a lengthy discussion about potential complications which are much more common after radiation.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Asymmetry

You are correct that radiation changes your tissues and will make that side more firm and the skin less pliable. It will take a few months for the breasts to heal and settle, and the radiated side may take a lot longer to heal and catch up to the normal side.

Breast asymmetry 5 weeks after reduction.

You need to allow at least 6 months of healing to allow resolution of swelling and relaxation of your skin before making any judgment whether revision should be considered.  This is especially so after radiation therapy.  If necessary one might consider liposuction but if a skin disparity exists the incisions would probably need to be revised to permit skin  and volume reduction of the larger side.  

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, Am Board of Plastic Surgery 

Member, Am. Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD