Are my breast tuberous or is this just ptosis? (photos)

I have always disliked the look of my breast. I am in my thirties with no children, but even still my breast are not very appealing in my opinion. I have an upcoming consultation in March for a breast augmentation. I would like to know before I go are my breast tuberous or just saggy?

Ptosis vs tubular breasts

I believe you have slight degrees of both. For you to get the best results, you need to have breast lift with reduction of the areoles and sub muscular augmentation. The asymmetry will need to be addressed also! Good luck

Candidate for a BA

Far more important than the technique is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let them explain why one technique may be better than another.
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for a breast augmentation. 

Any women desiring breast augmentation surgery is a candidate as long as there are no health problems present which would preclude her from having surgery. If the desired goal is to enhance or restore size and shape or to improve asymmetry, breast augmentation is a viable option. Breast augmentation can improve a body image, self-esteem, self-concept, and quality of life.
Ideal Candidates for Breast Augmentation
  • Desire larger, shapelier breasts.
  • Moderate degree of breast sag and smaller breasts, whose problem can be solved by enlargement.
  • One breast that is noticeably smaller or is positioned differently than the other (asymmetry).
  • Uneven chest wall or rib cage.
  • Women requiring breast reconstruction following a mastectomy.
  • Restore breast volume or shape following pregnancy, breast feeding and/or weight loss.

More droopy and asymmetric

than ptosis or tuberous.  If you want to have fuller breasts, you will need implants.  When starting with asymmetries, realize that they will persist after the implants.  Your surgeon should be able to help prepare you for the anticipated outcome so you are not surprised.

Curtis Wong, MD

Asymmetric breasts

You do not have tuberous breasts because the lower halves of the breasts are not tight with high breast creases. You do not have ptosis because on side view the nipples are at or above the inframammary fold levels. You have asymmetric breasts with the right breast larger than the left, the right nipple lower and further from the midline than the left nipple and different shaped breasts.

To achieve your goals you will need adjunctive procedures to make the breasts more similar such as a crescent mastopexy to adjust nipple position as well as barrel stave cuts in the breast tissue itself at the time of augmentation and possibly different sized implants. Exact symmetry is obviously not achievable but symmetry can be dramatically improved by surgery. Just putting in implants will likely only make the asymmetry more visible.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship in order to know if this assessment is valid.

Aaron Stone, MD

Are my breast tuberous or is this just ptosis?

I think the main issue that you face is the degree of asymmetry present between the two sides. I would meet with a few doctors to get face-to-face opinions and consider placement of breast implants combined with a full mastopexy on the droopier right side (in the photo) and probably a periareolar mastopexy on the less ptotic (droopy) side.  
The potential for improvement is quite good but it's unrealistic to expect perfect symmetry.  Good luck and best wishes.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS
Certified, Am Board of Plastic Surgery
Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV
Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Breast Shape

You could possibly argue that one has a very mild tuberous-like appearance, however it is predominantly saggy like the other.  So, augmentation should be performed with a breast lift to achieve a normal and natural result that will be appealing.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Tuberous or sagging breasts?

You don't have tuberous breasts.  Your left breast shows some "deflation" and would benefit from an implant alone.  Your right breast is larger, has Grade1 or 2 ptosis (sagging), and has a larger areola.  The right side will need a smaller implant and either a periareolar lift/areolar reduction or a lollipop lift.  If you do a periareolar lift on the right you may want to do the same on the left to reduce that areola and make them match.  Obviously, a consultation is necessary to formulate a specific and appropriate surgical plan as your situation is a bit more complex than a straightforward augmentation.
I hope this information helps!
Thomas Taylor, MD
Pasadena, CA

Breast Surgery

From looking at your pictures you seem to have a degree of ptosis and tuberous breasts.  Doing an augmentation mastopexy would address both problems.  Best of luck

You have ptosis and asymmetry

Hello Schwit84 and thank you for your question.  You appear to have more ptosis which is greater on your right breast than your left. With a breast lift, you can significantly improve the shape of your breasts and even them out.  By adding implants, you will be able to increase your volume and upper pole fullness. If you were my patient I would recommend a breast lift with implants. Make sure to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in aesthetic breast surgery.  I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Dr. Sean Kelishadi

Sean Kelishadi, MD

Tuberous breasts or ptosis

Tuberous breasts tend to share the following characteristics - a higher inframammary fold, a larger/stretched-appearing areola from breast tissue bulging behind the nipple, and a constricted breast base on your chest. You do not appear to have a classic tuberous breast deformity. Your ptosis is mild but you do you have asymmetry which makes the differences between the breasts more apparent. You may be served well with a breast augmentation with or without a lift depending on your goals and physical examination. Discuss your goals with your plastic surgeon to come up with a safe and optimal plan. 

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician