What size should I go for if I want full looking breasts? I'm 5'0", 98 lbs. Should I go for high profile or mod plus? (Photo)

Hi I am 5'0, 98 lbs . Stats : 32 A -23-34 . What size should I go for if I want a full looking breast , not too small, not too big . I don't want to look fat and at the same time I don't want to have a big gap between my breast . I'm thinking of having it through armpit with silicone gel implants .

Breast augmentation

It looks like you're a great candidate for breast augmentation surgery.  In terms of size, I like to review before and after photos with my patients to make sure that your "full looking breasts" are similar to what I would consider "full looking breasts."  After determining the look you're trying to achieve, I can make a determination of the implant profile and volume needed to achieve your goals.  I recommend seeing a plastic surgeon for an in-person consultation.  Good luck!

What size should I go for if I want full looking breasts? I'm 5'0", 98 lbs. Should I go for high profile or mod plus?

Thank you for your question. Size and shape of breasts can often play a critical role in a woman’s self-esteem. Fuller and bigger breasts are often associated with reproducibility therefore it is a desired condition. There are different kinds of breast augmentation operation types. Breast augmentation can be performed either with breast implants or autologous fat transfer. There are also different types of breast implants like teardrop or round implants. These implants also can be placed under or above the muscle. As you can imagine there are several different options for breast augmentation. The best way to understand which one is more suitable for you is to get a physical examination by a plastic surgeon.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants

If you are going with silicone gel, I don't think it haters whether you use mod plus or high profile implants.  I would use around 350 cc implants.  Personally, I'm not a fan of the armpit approach.  If you need further surgery later in your life, which is a good probability, it will be difficult to have it done through the armpit.  I prefer the inframammary incision.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

This is a frequently aslked question.

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: your individual anatomy, desired outcome, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing sit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on limited 2 dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Right size implant

Thank you for your breast implant question.
  • In general, you will want to start looking at implants in the upper 200 range but -
  • Choosing the right implant is a decision you and your surgeon make together. 
  • Your surgeon will take measurements, examine you and discuss your goals – and recommend an implant.
  • You will try on sizers to see the look you want.
  • Other considerations are the implant profile, whether shaped or round, saline or gel, textured or smooth and where to place the implants - above or below the muscle.
  • A bra size is not a reliable guide – since depending on the bra, a woman can wear a B, C or D cup bra. That is why trying on sizes is so helpful. 
  • In general, a woman your height and weight will have an implant in the 200s – because of chest width and the desire for a natural look but 
  • It's something you need to decide in person, with all the information your surgeon can give you. best wishes.

Your questions are great and appropriate. Unfortunately, an online forum is not going to be much help in answering your questions.Sizing of breast implants is a very individualized process. Essentially, you need to custom fit the implants to your body. In order to properly size implants, you need measurements of several key items. Regardless of what manufacturer of implant your surgeon uses, they all have what is called dimensional fitting systems. These systems basically take some measurements of your breast width, height, and tissue stretch to determine the optimal volume for your particular tissues. i.e. What can your tissues handle? These measurements will determine whether it is optimal for a particular profile implant as well. That is the "science" of determining the optimal size implant for your tissues. The artistry with your surgeon comes in taking the ideal size and working with some judgement to get you as close as possible to your desired outcome. So someone 5'0" 98 lbs with 3 children vs. someone with no children may have different optimal volumes due to the differential stretch in their tissues. You can Google "High Five Augmentation" to get a quick idea of the process.

Good luck.

Eric Desman, MD
Alexandria Plastic Surgeon

What Size is right for you?

The best way to determine your desired implant size and shape requires multiple pieces of important data;
  1. Perform the rice test at home to determine the desired volume.
  2. Seek out a board-certified plastic surgeon and have a consultation. During that consultation bring pictures of people that you would like to look like.
  3. Have the doctor size you in the office.
  4. The doctor will also take measurements that will determine the proper width and projection for your desires and body shape.
The combination of all this information, should result in proper choice of implant shape and size for you.

For more information on everything having to do with breast enhancement, please read my book, "Cosmetic Breast Surgery - a complete guide from A to double D".

Robert M. Freund, MD

Seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon

Thanks for the question. Your questions would best be answered during a consultation by a board certified plastic surgeon, but generally speaking, a good idea of implant size is achieved through examination, breast measurements, photo analysis and trying on implants during the consultation. You are a great candidate for augmentation, and with your petite size, high profile implants in the 250-300 cc range would often be a great choice. If you desired more cleavage, you might need a moderate profile wider implant in order to not laterally displace your nipples. 

Wesley G. Schooler, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Implant size to

There are several factors that plastic surgeons consider when recommending implant sizes. I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1. Dimensional planning
2. Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Implant Selection for Full Breasts

Based on the information and photos you provided, you'd likely obtain the results you're seeking with implants in the 300 cc to 350 cc range. There are many factors, however, that are involved in selecting the optimal implant for each patient. Most important is selecting a plastic surgeon whom you trust, and who will take the time to understand your goals and concerns fully. He or she can then guide you with regards to implant selection.